Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Crying

Posted by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:01 AM
  • 13 Replies
1 mom liked this
My 5 week old wont stop crying. He can have a clean diaper and fed hand he still cries. We don't know what it is or what to do. Sometimes I think he has colic but when he doesn't and he is still for five minutes he starts getting mad. Swing and bouncer seat doesn't work. We just don't know what to do. Any suggestions? Ty
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Turtledoves
by Ruby Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:11 AM
Have you tried swaddling? Do you breastfeed or formula feed? (Formula may be hurting belly or breastmilk may have something gassy in it to hurt belly). Babies instinct is to use sucking to calm themselves, does he have something to suck on?
squeakers2
by Bronze Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:22 AM
1 mom liked this
Try taking his clothes off. Check and see if there is no hair wrapped around his fingers or toes. Try bicycles to see if he's gassy, also try burping. Swaddling. Walk while gently bouncing him. This takes coordination, but sit down, lay him belly down on your legs, sway your legs from side to side, and pat his back with both hands. Offer a bink, the breast, or your finger for him to suck on. If you are getting frustrated, hand him off to daddy, or lay him in a safe place (crib or playpen) and go sit outside for a few minutes to calm down. He will feed off of the energy you are giving off. If you have a chair that rocks, lay him on your chest and rock. Its rough, but its just a phase.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ghostcat90
by Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:31 AM

I have a fussy baby... she's 6 months old now, but I finally figured out she liked to be on the move (swinging, rocking, walking, etc)...the whole time I was pregnant, I was on the move.  She also LOVES music, I spent a lot of time in my car, she I listened to a lot of music while I was pregnant.  The stuff I listened to while pregnant is what she prefers (Thank goodness for Mumford and Sons and George Winston).  The kid's crib has surround sound! I bought speakers and put them up where she can't get to them and hooked an old MP3 player to it.  Any time she's fussy I can usually calm her with that.  She hated being swaddled though, it restricted her movement and she's always on the go.

angela.bouchard
by Angela on Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:56 AM

Have you tried putting them in a carrier? My son had his rough nights as a newborn too and holding him close and rocking him was all that helped. It gets better. 

wulfeyes05
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:58 AM

My oldest had colic and we had this baby chair that when you turned it on it made the seat vibrate and that really helped clear out the gas. It was also the only way he would nap during the day because his stomach hurt.

MixedCooke
by Gold Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 1:30 AM
2 moms liked this

1) STILL GASSY--one burp doesnt mean he isnt still gassy--bicycle his legs, rub his belly counterclockwise

2) too hot or too cold--my kids run higher than normal temps and HATED to be swaddled or in long sleeves, etc.

3) too much information--too many lights, sounds, activities, etc--take him to a quiet darkened room for some quiet time--outside world is VERY different from the muted sounds and darkened area of the womb

4) shushing sound mimics the sounds heard in the womb

5) rocking motion mimics movement while in the womb

6) infant massage with lavender lotion will soothe him as well as you (few babies dont like it though)--start at the feet and rub towards the heart--it is also shown to stimulate growth and development

7) Monitor your diet if you are breastfeeding--he may not like a particular flavor that is transferred through your milk

8) calm down--babies sense when you are tense and reflect it back at you.  Deep breaths and try to relax.

9) warm bath or shower--some babies are calmed down when in water as it reminds them of the womb.

10) Hand him off--you may just need to ask someone else to watch him for a few minutes enough for you to calm down and they can have a little visit with someone else

11) Put his head on your heart which reminds him of the sound he heard while in the womb.

12) white noise--soft classical lullabye music or you sing/hum to him

13) he could still be hungry if you arent producing enough milk and their metabilism is much quicker after birth.

MTSuperMomof4
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 10:32 AM

I gave birth to two of those. With both of mine it ended up being a lactose allergy and reflux. They were good as long as they were upright. I spent a lot of time with them swaddled to myself. With  my dd, we had to get her on medication for the reflux. With my dd (my fourth) I discovered DoTERRA. They are holistic oils that combat all kinds of ailments. They do grow out of it.

sara1012
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 1:00 PM

Sounds like a tummy ache. Try doing the bicycle with his legs while he is laying on his back. Do this slowing. Give him gas drops as often as it reads on the bottle. Make sure you get him to burp after feedings. Sometimes I would burp my baby when she would be half way finished with her bottle. They also have a different bottles to choose from. They have the tilt bottle and the kind that has a straw in the center. Try not to let them suck to much air from a nipple. Hope this helps.

Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 2:36 PM
If you're breastfeeding....put him back on the boob. We had a fussy baby during those 6 weeks or so a s I just nursed to make him happy.
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Mar. 25, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Bump, sounds like you already have a lot of great advice

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)