Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

how to stop pacifier use?

Posted by   + Show Post
My lo uses a pacifier at night but after falling asleep needs it back in his mouth he will wake up when it does fall out. My husband is the one who keeps giving it to him. He will not stop. My husband does not understand that the baby does this at night. The paci does distract him from all his arm movement that wakes him.
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 7:39 AM
Replies (11-19):
birdiemom
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 8:56 PM
With dd we went cold turkey at about 18 months. I regretted it for a couple days, but quickly got over it when we no longer depended on it. With DS, he never cared for it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
raehalstead
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 8:56 PM

my baby only uses a paci to fall asleep then she spits it out and doesnt need it any more. We will stop paci all together when she is around 8 months cause she only really uses it for 2 minutes, I don't think she actually needs it to fall asleep, it has just been habit caused by me and my hubby putting it in her mouth.

Monica_0812
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 10:43 PM

its going to be hard but not impossible. maybe a couple of sleepless nights. we had a hard time breaking our dd from the paci but after a couple of days without it we succeeded. my son at the moment only takes the paci at night but barely likes it. yay for us!

ghostcat90
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 8:39 PM

My girl quit using hers at around 3 months.  Every now and then she'll find one and pop it in and pull it back out, but it's because she's teething (she does the same thing with her teething ring).  I want to think my doctor told us not to use them at all (of course I typically think he's an idiot but no one on my insurance is taking new patients).  I firmly believe that children will develop in their own time.  I've seen my girl quit using her paci on her own...we've introduced sippy cups and she's preferring them to her bottle some days.  Of course, she's little miss independent sooo I could just have a weird kid.

Brittanyk3
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 8:46 PM
my kids never took them but here are some ways that my family/friends used with their kids.
-cut the tip off so when they go to put it in their mouth it will feel different and wont work like it should.
-tell the child they are for babies and have them throw them away.
-(my inlaws had cows at the time of this one and my niece was in love with them) they told her that the cows needed them so she threw them to the cows (they were picked up after my niece went into the house)
-cold turkey just taking it away.
-telling child they can only have it at nap and bed...then take nap time away and then slowly take a day away until they are not interested anymore.
kgalvano
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 10:09 PM

we just went cold turkey with mine.

Cheyennesmommy4
by Christina on Mar. 27, 2013 at 12:25 AM

Mason weaned himself off of the paci at about 6 months old. Charlie isn't a big fan of paci's but he will use them(I think he wil follow in his brother's footsteps)

USMCwife0530
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 3:09 AM

Quoting la_bella_vita:

We never used them, bump

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
serious22
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 2:16 PM
Thanks for all the info. My boy is 3months old and some days he likes his paci some times he can go without it. When its bed time he has it to sleep because my husband wants him to have it. When the baby falls asleep and it falls out of his mouth he cries for it. I keep having to put it back in his mouth for him to stop crying.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)