Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Food allergies

Posted by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 9:29 AM
  • 17 Replies

Hi

My 8m old dd has food allergies. She is allergic to dairy, soy, wheat, peas, eggs, and peanuts. Her allergist has put her off all nuts. And she is underweight,14 lbs and 27". She is a healthy baby, and oin everyhing a 8 m old does. She was 7lb at birth and full term.

The thing is we are vegetarians. Sometimes I just don't know how to include fat and protein in her diet.

She eats solids 3 times a day.rice cereal in the morning, mashed white rice with lentils and vegetables for lunch and dinner. (I'm from India and we are rice and lentil eaters). 

Since she is allergic to peanuts and peas her allergist said she could be allergic to all legumes which includes lentils. But the possibility is very tiny. So he said its ok for me to continue giving her lentils till we test her next week.

I'm worried big now. If not for lentils, where is the protein for her?? Wat do u ladies suggest? 

by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 9:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lauratupper
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 10:17 AM

At her age all she really needs is breastmilk or formula. If you are still breastfeeding she will get everthing she needs from that, just elminate the foods she is allergic to from your diet.

kss12
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 10:23 AM
I am allergic to what your dd is allergic to minus wheat, peas and soy. I have a 13 month old that I refuse to try on any foods I'm allergic to until he can verbally tell me how he feels. My allergic reaction is severe. I give him avocado for fat and include olive oil mixed in with most of his foods, and he gets his protein from beans. I also give him goat cheese and manchego cheese (sheeps milk), and he has done very well with that. I also make him goat milk yogurt for fats and proteins (goats milk is extremely rich in protein but for babies under 1 it should really be used in moderation)
Any ther questions just let me know, I've struggled with the same things you're going through!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
preacherskid
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 10:35 AM

Beans and mushrooms can be used for protein- my odd does not like to eat meat, I think it is a texture issue, so we keep beans, mushrooms, avocados, and the like on hand for proteins and fats.  But at eight months breastmilk will meet all your lo's dietary needs- solids before one are just for fun; this is especially true for a child with food allergies.  

Eta- forgot what group I am in lol.  Breastmilk or formula, though I suspect with that allergy list you are breastfeeding, I don't know of any formula free of all those allergens.

CafeMom Tickers
Maddie303
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:39 AM

She is on alimentum. I stopped BF ing at 6 months, as I could not find out wat she was getting allergic to. I hated to stop, but I had to. And she is doing better since then. 

Maddie303
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:49 AM

By beans do u mean green beans or other types of lentils? I add olive oil fir her too. And every time I give avocado, she has throws up.. I don't know if its an allergy or the texture or wat else.. before I knew she was allergic to eggs, I fed her some for three days followed by a day of banana.. The next day she threw up 4 times in the morning and ended up in the ER with dehydration.. Now I know tht it was the eggs, but I'm scared to try the banana again.. It's jus overwhelming at times..

Maddie303
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:51 AM

I'm gonna try the mushrooms .. Wat do u mean by beans? Is it jus green beans or some type of lentil?

lauratupper
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:14 PM
1 mom liked this

There's black beans, white beans, kidney, lima...there are lots of different kinds of beans, almost all them have good amount of proteins.

Quoting Maddie303:

I'm gonna try the mushrooms .. Wat do u mean by beans? Is it jus green beans or some type of lentil?

sara1012
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:37 PM

My 15 month old is allergic to milk. I took her to an allergist in January because she kept a runny nose for 10 months and a couple of months before a noticed a rash that appeared on her face. They did the allergy test and found it to be milk. The doctor said that we had to do trial and error with the dairy because some kids are just allergic to one thing or all. So we did a week without milk and then added it. Within a hour her face broke out. Then  we gave that about 4 days to clear and try scrambled eggs and she did not break out in the rash. Sorry but long story short, she drinks the almond milk which has 50% calcium that regular milk. I'm not sure if it has soy in it or not. This can also be something that they grow out of. Probably  not much help though.

jjchick75
by Bronze Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 1:39 PM

We are dairy, soy, egg free due to allergies. We also are gluten free. I don't know what I'd do if I also cut out meat. We eat lean meats, vegetables, and brown rice for most of our meals. Right now all she needs is formula or breastmilk. We never did rice cereal. It's over processed empty calories and babies don't have the necessary enzymes to break down grains until about a year. I don't know what to tell you. If it were me, I'd just give her meat atleast for a couple of years until you can see waht she will out grow and what she won't out grow. She is going to need protein and she isn't getting much of it. But if being vegetrarian is important to you, I'm not sure what to tell you. 

preacherskid
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 1:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Black beans, pintos, kidney beans, lima beans, garbanzo beans (aka chickpeas)- I am not certain which if any of those would be on a "no legumes" list.  You can do a lot with mushrooms and the different varieties, from button to portabella to shanterelle if you can find them.  Whole grains like brown or wild rice have some protein in them, so does quinoa.

Quoting Maddie303:

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)