Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

AAP's publication Pediatrics, issues statement against non-therapeutic circumcision

Posted by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 4:18 PM
  • 65 Replies
1 mom liked this

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/early/2013/03/12/peds.2012-2896.full.pdf

Here are some highlights from the technical report:

"Circumcision fails to meet the criteria to serve as a preventive measure for [urinary tract infection], even though this is the only 1 of the AAP report's 4 most favored arguments that has any relevance before the boy gets old enough to decide for himself."

"As a preventive measure for penile cancer, circumcision also fails to meet the criteria for preventive medicine: the evidence is not strong; the disease rate has a good survival rate; there are less intrusive ways of preventing the disease; and there is no compelling reason to deny boys their legitimate right to make their own informed decision when they are old enough to do so."

"The authors of the AAP report forget to stress that responsible use of condoms, regardless of circumcision status, will provide close to 100% reduction in risk for any STD. In addition, STDs occur only after sexual debut, which implies that the decision of whether to circumcise can be postponed to an age when boys are old enough to decide for themselves."

"As with the other possible benefits, circumcision for HIV protection in Western countries fails to meet the criteria for preventive medicine: there is no strong evidence for effectiveness and other, more effective, and less intrusive means are available. There is also no compelling reason why the
procedure should be performed long before sexual debut; sexually transmitted HIV infection is not a relevant threat to children."

“There is growing consensus among physicians, including those in the United States, that physicians discourage parents from circumcising their healthy infant boys because non-therapeutic circumcision of underage boys in Western societies has no compelling health benefits, causes post-operative pain, can have serious long-term consequences, constitutes a violation of the United Nations’ Declaration of the Rights of the Child, and conflicts with the Hippocratic Oath: primum non nocere: First Do No Harm.”

by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 4:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Mar. 25, 2013 at 5:19 PM

Bump

wolfybaby
by Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 5:32 PM
1 mom liked this

good. its about time the AAP gets some raised eyebrows from its peers. oh, america, you young, uneducated, culturally obsessed country. when will you learn that this is the 21st century? babies are not property anymore!

MissyMegs
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 5:46 PM
3 moms liked this

This is one of those subjects that gets heated.. In my opinion, it's up t the parents... You can do all the research you want and gather both sides of the argument or discussion but it's how the parents feel about it and how they decide whether it's done or not.. 

wolfybaby
by Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 6:08 PM
2 moms liked this

maybe a few years ago.. but now there is so much more scientific argument against circumcision and little-to-none for the for circumcision side. in fact, the major argument that circumcising prevents hiv and other std's was proven to be inaccurate and a faulty study. now, excluding "benefit/risk" statistics under .1% in either direction, the only argument people can use for circumcision is that its not illegal yet. ;]

Quoting MissyMegs:

This is one of those subjects that gets heated.. In my opinion, it's up t the parents... You can do all the research you want and gather both sides of the argument or discussion but it's how the parents feel about it and how they decide whether it's done or not.. 

Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 6:12 PM
Yep!

Quoting wolfybaby:

good. its about time the AAP gets some raised eyebrows from its peers. oh, america, you young, uneducated, culturally obsessed country. when will you learn that this is the 21st century? babies are not property anymore!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ceckyl
by Silver Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 8:18 PM
It shouldn't be up to the parents. The parents are making bad decisions. It should be up to the owner of the penis!

Quoting MissyMegs:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ceckyl
by Silver Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 8:18 PM
Exactly.

Quoting wolfybaby:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Mar. 25, 2013 at 8:24 PM
4 moms liked this
I had my older sons circumcised, and will have my next son circumcised too.
MissyMegs
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 9:36 PM

Quoting ceckyl:

It shouldn't be up to the parents. The parents are making bad decisions. It should be up to the owner of the penis!

Quoting MissyMegs:

Oh - So - Every parent is now considered a bad parent cause they want their son circumsized??? I largely disagree.. 

My brother in law just got himself circumsize about a yr ago, I don't know his reasons, But he wishes he had it done when he was a baby because it was the most painful experience he's ever had. 

To each their own.. I, personally, am currently pregnant with a boy and my husband, being a nurse and I have agreed that our son will be getting circumsized... There isn't enough studies proving that uncircumsized penis' is safer then circumsized.. 

You do what you want, I'll do what I want.. It's my son and mine and my husband's decision.. 

Katt709
by Silver Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 10:01 PM

Yay!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)