Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone ever got pregnant on mirena??

I have had it for about a year and periods have a mind of their own. I was having them at first then they stopped and then they came back ever month about 3 months ago. I would say 4-7 days ago I had some spotting and thought it was my period... but just spotting but thats pretty normal with mirena.

The past week I have been super sensitive to smells... but thought nothing of it. Now the past few days I am non stop throwing up and having diarrhea (this happened with DD because I have ulcerative colitis and my hormones make it way worse). I have been blaming it on a stomach bug.

Jokingly my hubby was like your probably pregnant and I was like hmmmm... I sure hope not!! I think when I go to the store today I will pick up a test just to make sure.

Has anyone gotten pregnant on mirena? Was your baby ok? Did they remove the mirena? Let me know your experience.
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 9:32 AM
Replies (11-16):
angela.bouchard
by Angela on Mar. 27, 2013 at 11:47 PM

Some people do, sure. It's not likely though. 

coffeemom37043
by Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 12:32 AM

They work the same as any other tests. Excluding blue dye tests. Hate those...

Quoting AshlynnJadesMom:

I'm going to buy a test today. How good are those little .88 cent ones from walmart?

Mom-3girls-1boy
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 12:37 AM
I did
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SandraB383
by Bronze Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 9:21 AM

I didn't get pregnant on the Mirena, but on a different IUD. The pregnancy was ectopic, so no, the baby wasn't ok. Yes, they removed it and I was told that my chances for another ectopic pregnancy are higher now and I shouldn't use an IUD anymore.

Millertime77
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 9:23 AM

YES!!! But not me personally.  I was pregnant with my son and a woman here at work who was on Mirena and her husband had a low sperm count, she already had a six year old son, she got pregnant while on Mirena-and she totally wigged out.  The dr. told her that the chances of her gettng pregnant while on it combined with her husband's low sperm count were like one in a million.  Can you believe that? She had the Mirena removed and her daughter is now two years old and beautiful! She calls her daughter her miraculous child. And immediately afterwards she got her tubes tied.  THEN-other story-my friend's daughter had her son the same week I had my son.  Our boys were barely a year old, and my friend's daughter was on Mirena, well, she started having bad heaches, vision problems, was light-headed and then started to vomit everyday for a week.  Then she started to bleed, my friend rushed her daughter to to the doctor where they found out she was NINE weeks pregnant-NINE weeks.  She couldn't believe it-when they told her she actually passed out. They had to remove the Mirena and explain to her all the problems that could be wrong with the baby-which was a multitude.  They even told her she should consider abortion.  Well she doesn't believe in abortion-so that wasn't an option.  Her second son was born prematurely about three weeks early.  He's had some minor problems-he needs speech therapy-but he's an absolute miracle and they couldn't imagine their family without him. So, yes you can get pregnant on Mirena.  Go to your doctor and get a blood test.  Best wishes to you! :)

emilyelephant
by Bronze Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 12:05 PM

My friend did a few years ago. She lost the baby at 5 months (although she has been pregnant about 5-6 times since them and lost them all and I'm not sure if she was lying about any or all of them, she has dramatic and childish relationships)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)