Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Shots while sick? **edit/update-ish

Posted by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 3:54 PM
  • 25 Replies

My baby girl has had a fever the past few days, with a cough and runny nose. She had her well check today, and I let them know she had had a fever, cough and runny nose. They gave her her shots and we left. But dfs sister is saying they shouldn't have given her shots? 

So I have definitely learnt. I'll definitely cancel if she has a fever next time. I've been watching her like a hawk all night. She has a fever, but it's controlled with Motrin, as it has been for the past two days before the shots. Smh. My poor pumpkin. I still feel so horrible, poor girl :(

by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 3:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ceckyl
by Silver Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 3:55 PM
No, they shouldn't have.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Lovebugbaby
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 4:19 PM

Crap, that worries me! :(

Quoting ceckyl:

No, they shouldn't have.

Firenygirl180
by Bronze Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 4:22 PM
They should have checked her temp while there. If she has even a low fever most doctors would have asked to reschedule.
jackiewal10
by Silver Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 4:23 PM

She's right.  They shouldn't have.  A lot of doctors think it's "no big deal" but really, it is.  Reason being, that her immune system is already at a low point, then you introduce "illness/disease" through a vaccination into her system.  It makes her more susceptible to GREATER illness, and potentially even the illness she was vaccinated for.  The chance isn't great, but it is still there.

jeniprice
by Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 4:28 PM
They should not have given her shots!! Just remember, there's nothing wrong with you saying that you don't want her to get shots at any time also. When I took Miles for his 1 year well check, he had just gotten over being sick. They wanted to give him 4 shots and do blood work! I politely declined. I'm vaccinating him, but on a very delayed schedule. I don't plan on him getting any more shots until he's 2. Then he'll be old enough to tell me what hurts and where it hurts.
I hope your peanut feels better soon!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lizzys_mommy13
by Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 4:31 PM
No, they shouldn't have because if she reacts to a shot, things can get worse real quick. My pedi wouldn't give my son his first shots because he had a slight cold and they didn't want to risk it.
Turtledoves
by Ruby Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 4:40 PM
Most doctors don't give shots while kids are sick and will have you come back for a nurse visit later. I always had to force the issue though as my doctor also didnt care if my child was sick. Id reschedule the well check up or make a nurse visit.
Lovebugbaby
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Omg, now I feel horrible!!! I can't believe that.

she didn't have a fever there so I guess they thought she was fine? Omg, I feel stupid

Lovebugbaby
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 5:00 PM

No fever while we were there :/

Quoting Firenygirl180:

They should have checked her temp while there. If she has even a low fever most doctors would have asked to reschedule.

RADmomma
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 5:01 PM
Don't feel stupid. You didn't know, but now u do & you can make sure she is safe from now on.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)