Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

HELP!! 1 week PP--Feeling depressed/anxious. PIOG

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 7:48 AM
  • 7 Replies
Nothing about this labor/pp period has been easy. I'll try to keep it short. Last Wednesday I went into my midwife appt w a little shocking news..baby was breech and I was 5cm dilated! So the next day i had a c/section, which Halfway through it I started feeling EVERYTHING bc my epidural started failing so I had to get knocked out w some crazy stuff.
Saturday I started getting really bad headaches and after getting discharged Sunday, my headache just got worse and worse. I could only lay flat and could barely get up to go to the bathroom. I found out I had a spinal headache and got a blood patch done yesterday and feel a lot better
NOW, I'm Having a lot of anxiety and feelings of depression. My dr said it is probably hormones but the anxiety is awful. Im having problems eating, i have no appetite, and I just keep feeling so sad thinking about how great my life WAS When I was feeling healthy. Anyone else expierencing this!? Also I'm freezing one min, sweaty the next. I think I have to stop pumping (my son is in thr nicu) bc I feel like pumping is making it worse. I dont even have any desire to go see my son in the hospital and dont really have any feelings of connecting with him, I have gone to see him maybe 3-4 times since he was born a week ago bc Sun-Tues I couldnt get out of bed bc of my spinal headache. Ugh just needed to vent plus see if anyone has some advice.
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 7:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
themissheather
by Bronze Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 12:10 PM
I don't have any experience with this, but hang in there mama. Things will get better. Are you able to hold your son at all? Skin to skin contact helps get good hormones going. Maybe try nursing him as well, if possible, for the same reason. Definitively call your doctor if you don't start feeling better soon. PPD is/can be serious.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
expectantmom81
by Erin on Mar. 28, 2013 at 1:26 PM
I'm so sorry your going through this. You need to call your doc and tell them how your feeling. Tell them everything you said here. You definitely need to see someone and maybe even needs medicine for now. Hang in there mama. HUGS
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
anxiousschk
by Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 3:41 PM
2 moms liked this

Oh honey....your story sounds EXACTLY like my first birth.  Feel free to PM me if you want or need to.  

The experience left me with huge anxiety issues and PPD.  

It could certainly just be hormones at this point, or it could be the start of something else.  

Seriously, I could have written this exact same post 10 years ago with my first.  

The freezing/sweaty will go away, that's hormones.  

PM me..seriously.  

As for pumping, in a few months will you look back and wished you had kept going or will you realize it was something you had to do for your health and feel good about it?  

SewingMamaLele
by Silver Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 3:56 PM

Wow!   I'm sorry for what you've been through!   A tramatic birth can definitely, definitely cause issues with hormones, PPD and bonding.

#1, do NOT stop pumping.   Producing milk is actually helping to level your hormones.  Stopping will make it worse.

#2... go see that baby!   Get some kangaroo care going and see when you can begin trying to latch him.  Being close and nursing him will help you.

It's hard at first when you're in a funk and can't see the other side... but it DOES get better.    You have to try, though.   You have to push yourself and then you will come out the other side,

Why is LO in the NICU?   Will he be released soon?

liamsmommy930
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 5:11 PM

I'd definately call your OB back. I'm sorry you are going through all that. Prayers for you and your son.  I don't have experience with spinal headaches but I do understand missing a connection after a c section.  Which I'm sorry yours went horribly.  :/     Have you gotten to hold your son?  The more i held my daughter the more connected i felt but it did take a while.  It was all so surreal because I had felt like I had been robbed of the birth experience i had been wanting... including feeling her as she came out.. holding her right after...slimey and all. seeing DH cut the cord... seeing her cry the first time....  :/   (((hugs)))

angela.bouchard
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 5:22 PM

I'm so sorry :( the same thing happened to me during my c-section. I didn't feel a connection with my son really until I brought him home. You need to take care of yourself so that you can take care of your son.. When you go in ask for skin to skin time. It really does help. ((hugs))

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Mar. 28, 2013 at 6:26 PM
I had a similar c-section experience and it lead to nightmares and insomnia. If you ever feel like venting to someone feel free to message me. I had post partum depression after one of my babies and anxiety with 2 others. I know or have a good idea how you feel. I'm sorry you are dealing with this
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN