Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Sleep, what's that like?

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 8:10 AM
  • 16 Replies
Our son is 15 months old and he STILL doesn't sleep through the night! The real problem is that it doesn't matter what tine he goes to bed at night, he gets up at the same time everyday. How many hours of sleep at night should someone his age get? At least 9 right?
Part of the problem is that he didn't have a routine for a long time, I was working and my husband was unemployed, but we've recently switched roles and I'm desperately trying to fix 6 months worth of bad habits.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 8:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aarensmommy
by Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 8:17 AM

i  would just keep with the routine. honestly my 2 yo old (3 in april) only just started sleeping through the night most nights a few months ago i was up multiple times a night with him i did the routine and everything finally it worked lol  when he woke i would put him back to bad talk to him if he was upset and crying till he calmed down. if all else failed....we co-slept the rest of the night (and with him that isnt easy he is a kicker) it was hard still is when he wakes he sleep worse then my 13 month old! 

at 18mon they should still be getting 11hr nighttime sleep so i assume 15m is the same. good luck!

bad_mama2011
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 8:29 AM
He never gets enough sleep, he always has puffy eyes! I'm ready to rip my hair out! Co-sleeping the rest of the night used to work, he's a kicker too, but now even that doesn't work!
He doesn't nap well either unless you're holding him or sleeping next to him, he only sleeps for 15-30 minutes at best. He doesn't sleep anywhere near 11 hours at night.

Quoting aarensmommy:

i  would just keep with the routine. honestly my 2 yo old (3 in april) only just started sleeping through the night most nights a few months ago i was up multiple times a night with him i did the routine and everything finally it worked lol  when he woke i would put him back to bad talk to him if he was upset and crying till he calmed down. if all else failed....we co-slept the rest of the night (and with him that isnt easy he is a kicker) it was hard still is when he wakes he sleep worse then my 13 month old! 

at 18mon they should still be getting 11hr nighttime sleep so i assume 15m is the same. good luck!

jessicaaris
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 10:25 AM

It will take time, but just stick with it. My oldest wouldn't sleep on his own through the night until he was 3, but that was becuase I didn't try to make him unti he was almost 2 and by then he was so used to co-sleeping. I learned from that mistake with #2 and #3, lol.

YzmaRocks
by Platinum Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 11:06 AM
How much sleep a child needs depends on the child. I have one who needs very little sleep. Even as a newborn he would be up for 3-4 hour stretches before napping. My hubby is the same way.
bad_mama2011
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 1:31 PM
But he always has puffy tired eyes and he's so cranky most of the time. I'm hoping once the weather gets better and he gets some fresh air it will help, maybe he's not having enough activity during the day.

Quoting YzmaRocks:

How much sleep a child needs depends on the child. I have one who needs very little sleep. Even as a newborn he would be up for 3-4 hour stretches before napping. My hubby is the same way.

abra
by Abra on Mar. 28, 2013 at 5:38 PM

aww. I had that problem with my second child. 

Web MD says, "1-3 Years Old: 12 - 14 hours per day

As your child moves past the first year toward 18-21 months of age he will likely lose his morning nap and nap only once a day. While toddlers need up to 14 hours a day of sleep, they typically get only about 10.

Most children from about 21 to 36 months of age still need one nap a day, which may range from one to three and a half hours long. They typically go to bed between 7 and 9 p.m. and wake up between 6 and 8 a.m."

With some children, the older they get, the harder it is to teach them good sleep habits. With my second, it took until she was nearly 4! So you defintely want to keep working at this before your son turns 2.  Sometimes it can help to establish a lengthy bedtime routine. Read him a story, sing him a song, give him a bath, then brush his teeth and put him to bed. Is he in a crib or toddler bed? When he wakes up is he crying or just talking?

.....Ophelia Grace...............Mira Lorne...............Jude Bennett.........Liam Daniel Baines.

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Mar. 28, 2013 at 6:30 PM
Bump
bad_mama2011
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 6:41 PM
He's in a crib, we lowered the matress so he can't climb out, and he cries. I've been trying to teach him to call for "mama" or "dada" because he can say both and our room is right next to his and we have a baby monitor on.

Quoting abra:

As your child moves past the first year toward 18-21 months of age he will likely lose his morning nap and nap only once a day. While toddlers need up to 14 hours a day of sleep, they typically get only about 10.

Most children from about 21 to 36 months of age still need one nap a day, which may range from one to three and a half hours long. They typically go to bed between 7 and 9 p.m. and wake up between 6 and 8 a.m."

With some children, the older they get, the harder it is to teach them good sleep habits. With my second, it took until she was nearly 4! So you defintely want to keep working at this before your son turns 2.  Sometimes it can help to establish a lengthy bedtime routine. Read him a story, sing him a song, give him a bath, then brush his teeth and put him to bed. Is he in a crib or toddler bed? When he wakes up is he crying or just talking?

abra
by Abra on Mar. 28, 2013 at 8:26 PM

If you are sure he is fed, clean, and not in pain (teething?), it might come down to how much crying you are willing to handle. I used CCIO with 2 of my kids and had fantastic results. 

http://www.cafemom.com/group/113812/forums/read/15376333/An_Introduction_to_Compassionate_CIO_Sleep_Training 

Quoting bad_mama2011:

He's in a crib, we lowered the matress so he can't climb out, and he cries. I've been trying to teach him to call for "mama" or "dada" because he can say both and our room is right next to his and we have a baby monitor on.

Quoting abra:

.....Ophelia Grace...............Mira Lorne...............Jude Bennett.........Liam Daniel Baines.

shajdinyak
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 8:29 PM
We have a soon to be five and two year old who dont sleep:( Sadly think they inherited my sleep genes:(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN