Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Mamas who have done baby led weaning rather than starting mushy cereals and jarred foods...

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 7:30 AM
  • 13 Replies

How was the experience? What foods did you start out with and at what age? I am thinking about baby led weaning (my baby isn't even born yet lol) this is my 4th child and I honestly think it sounds like a good thing to do nutritionally and developmentally. Especially becuse I don't start solid foods until 6 months or older anyway. I gave all my other kids jarred foods and baby cereals and I would like to try a different approach this time around. I plan to breastfeed fo atleast 12 months, would love to do it for 18 if possible.

by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 7:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Eliots_momma
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 8:16 AM
1 mom liked this
We started at 6.5 months. His first food was avocado. We just started giving him bites of veggies and meats from our plates at first. After about 2 months we added beans, fruits, and some dairy. I love BLS! It is stress free, simple and healthy. Dh had a hard time with it at first bc he thought he would choke, but he never has.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mollysmom328
by Bronze Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 9:15 AM
1 mom liked this

I gave mine sweet potatoes at 6 months.  Quickly moved to peas, other veggies, then fruits.  By 7 months she was eating EVERYTHING we were eating (that was healthy lol) with the exception of grains.  She started grains around 9 months, my next I might wait until a year.  I would never do solid foods any other way!

westtxmomtobe
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Ella's my first bio and for now she calls the shots. She's 4 1/2 months. She was born tiny only 5.15 and I bf the first 2 weeks. At her 2 week checkup she had dropped to 5.8 (yes I know now that was OK) and the ped insisted I formula feed. That entire experience was traumatic to me and immeadetly I quit listening to Ella and watched the clock. She was fed every 2 -3 hours. Some times she'd push the bottle out with her tongue so I'd give it 30 mins try again sometimes needing another 30 to get her interested. Now she's got to be about 13-ish pounds and I know it's ok for her to make the night without a feeding so I let her tell me. I watch during the day for her signs of hunger before the fussing. The last week or so I've been letting her sleep at night instead of waking her for the bottle but I'm pretty sure I've screwed up cause she wants one every 4 hours at most. I guess I freaked out because of her being small, and then the ped, but now that I know she's not going to break if she doesn't have a bottle every 2 hours I let her boss. Yesterday (I'm aware this may bring on bashing) I touched her lip with my popsicle. She had a dot as big around as a pencil led and about as tall as a hair on her lip and she really seemed to enjoy it. She's good at moving her tongue around (thats how she tells me she's full) and I've read that's one of the signs of knowing the baby might be getting ready for solids. I've also read a ton on how you really must wait until at least 6 months. Haven't got a clue how she'd tell me she's ready to try her first baby food, I suppose when she is taking good sized bottles and not being satisfied. For now, she's happy with milk. Oh and ped also said to put 2 tsp of rice cereal in bottle for spit up and after doing it twice with 1 tsp and it did absolutely nothing for quantity and frequency of spit up I stopped. No sense in filling her with empty calories when I'm trying to make sure she's doing well enough on required nutrition. BUT I'm super excited for her to show me she's ready. I've been doing lots of thinking about what to let her taste first...LOL

Mom2Just1
by Gold Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 9:46 AM
The signs she will be will be sitting up on own, gain her pincer grasp, lose her tongue thrust, etc. not seeming satisfied is not one of them. Formula or bm should be her main source of nutrition for a year. We don't introduce solids for 6 months and my first child didn't want them until closer to a year. I ebf until then and he was fine. I have no experience with cereal because I don't think it's healthy.

Quoting westtxmomtobe:

Ella's my first bio and for now she calls the shots. She's 4 1/2 months. She was born tiny only 5.15 and I bf the first 2 weeks. At her 2 week checkup she had dropped to 5.8 (yes I know now that was OK) and the ped insisted I formula feed. That entire experience was traumatic to me and immeadetly I quit listening to Ella and watched the clock. She was fed every 2 -3 hours. Some times she'd push the bottle out with her tongue so I'd give it 30 mins try again sometimes needing another 30 to get her interested. Now she's got to be about 13-ish pounds and I know it's ok for her to make the night without a feeding so I let her tell me. I watch during the day for her signs of hunger before the fussing. The last week or so I've been letting her sleep at night instead of waking her for the bottle but I'm pretty sure I've screwed up cause she wants one every 4 hours at most. I guess I freaked out because of her being small, and then the ped, but now that I know she's not going to break if she doesn't have a bottle every 2 hours I let her boss. Yesterday (I'm aware this may bring on bashing) I touched her lip with my popsicle. She had a dot as big around as a pencil led and about as tall as a hair on her lip and she really seemed to enjoy it. She's good at moving her tongue around (thats how she tells me she's full) and I've read that's one of the signs of knowing the baby might be getting ready for solids. I've also read a ton on how you really must wait until at least 6 months. Haven't got a clue how she'd tell me she's ready to try her first baby food, I suppose when she is taking good sized bottles and not being satisfied. For now, she's happy with milk. Oh and ped also said to put 2 tsp of rice cereal in bottle for spit up and after doing it twice with 1 tsp and it did absolutely nothing for quantity and frequency of spit up I stopped. No sense in filling her with empty calories when I'm trying to make sure she's doing well enough on required nutrition. BUT I'm super excited for her to show me she's ready. I've been doing lots of thinking about what to let her taste first...LOL

emkirkley
by Silver Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 10:23 AM

we loved it.  We personally started with sweet potato fries (homemade) and banana because I think it's easier for them to do "sticks" at 6-7 months old and we didn't do avacado because of latex allergies with me and my ODD (she's crossreactive with avacado and some other foods, but not bananas oddly enough) and moved to things like green beans, steamed or baked apple/pear sticks, shredded cheeses and within a couple weeks pretty much anything that was on our plates.  I don't know how old your other children are, but things like eggs, nuts and seafood aren't off limits after 6 months, the most recent studies show it's beneficial to introduce between 6 and 12 months, before and after then increases allergy rates.  grains are hard for kids to digest until 8-12 months so we limited cheerios and that sort of thing until 8 months and still no honey until 12 months because of the botulism risk.

tyrelsmom
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 10:28 AM
Her first few foods were banana, sweet potato, and green beans at 6 months.
westtxmomtobe
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 10:34 AM

Firstly, THANK YOU!!! Maybe I'm a terrible person but what works is learning slightly ahead. Our situation is a bit hectic, when I was 4 months pregnent we gained 3 older children. I absolutely put a lot of effort into learning everything I can to be a good mom to all, it's vital to me. With a schedule very very difficult to maintain I'm about a month to two months ahead of her. So what I'm saying is I knew from what I've read before that it's generally about 6 months when baby food is appropriate. I'm just now getting to being able to do serious research about when, what, etc.. My husband is the bio father to 2 of the other children so he's a major help. He guides me so much. But I still insist on reading, in detail, about each phase for her. I did know the formula until a year thing, if I understand correctly the first stretch with food is more about exploration than nutrition (?)I thought I saw that you should definately stick to one new food for a week straight not adding any other new stuff that week to test for allergies.That'd never meet her nutritional needs so formula's a must if thats correct.

Anyways I don't think she's anywhere near ready, though the excitement is building on my part :P She does not sit up without me holding her back and tummy. If I understand things, she was a bit ahead of some babies on a few other things (yes I know every baby is diff) she held her head up with little wobbling about 2 weeks, followed sounds shortly after, and at 4 1/2 months she can sporatically go in reverse while attempting to crawl. Forward is a way no go though. She can roll back to side to tummy and tummy to side to back as well. Need to read more on this pincer grasp, but she does like to hold her own bottles (with mamma holding her and watching closely) She picks up her light toys, she can stear the bottle to her mouth. She does though still do her tongue thrust regularly. That's mamma's first signal she's done with her bottle. Also just fyi I agree with cereal. I kinda freaked out on the ped when they suggested it at 3 months!!! I am (possibly overly) concerned with her getting enough nutrition with the formula. She's getting considerably better, but since birth she's taken a bit of finessing to eat. Again 1st time mom so... but I didn't want her to have cereal. I don't believe her spit up was severe enough to constitute her needing it. And because of our situation with so many children, she will be my only bio. I want her to take all the time she needs to graduate to the next phase and let me enjoy each a little longer.

Quoting Mom2Just1:

The signs she will be will be sitting up on own, gain her pincer grasp, lose her tongue thrust, etc. not seeming satisfied is not one of them. Formula or bm should be her main source of nutrition for a year. We don't introduce solids for 6 months and my first child didn't want them until closer to a year. I ebf until then and he was fine. I have no experience with cereal because I don't think it's healthy.

Quoting westtxmomtobe:

MamaScho88
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 10:37 AM

My other 3 children are 8yrs, 4yrs, and 21 months old...I introduced my first two at 4-5 months to baby cereals and jarred foods, they were formula fed...my youngest was breastfed for the first 6 months, I didn't introduce cereal or jarred foods until he was 6-7 months old. I had no idea you could give eggs, nuts, and seafood at 6 months. I kept those things off limits until 12 months...actually he just had his first baked haddock dinner last week, and I only gave him tuna for the first time like 3 months ago! I gave him eggs at maybe 9 months, and peanut butter at 12 months, he drinks almond milk now because cows milk suddenly has started bothering his belly, making his poo mucousy and sour and was causing terrible diaper rash. He's not allergic to anything except for having the reaction to cows milk all of a sudden. My other kids don't have any allergies either, except my other son has the isue with cows milk too, that started at 10 months old when he was still on formula. They both can have as much cheese, yogurt, and other dairy products as they want without an issue, it's just the drinking cows milk...weird

Quoting emkirkley:

we loved it.  We personally started with sweet potato fries (homemade) and banana because I think it's easier for them to do "sticks" at 6-7 months old and we didn't do avacado because of latex allergies with me and my ODD (she's crossreactive with avacado and some other foods, but not bananas oddly enough) and moved to things like green beans, steamed or baked apple/pear sticks, shredded cheeses and within a couple weeks pretty much anything that was on our plates.  I don't know how old your other children are, but things like eggs, nuts and seafood aren't off limits after 6 months, the most recent studies show it's beneficial to introduce between 6 and 12 months, before and after then increases allergy rates.  grains are hard for kids to digest until 8-12 months so we limited cheerios and that sort of thing until 8 months and still no honey until 12 months because of the botulism risk.

rHOPEb
by Silver Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 10:46 AM

I did the cereal and made purees with my first.  She didn't want foods until around 8-9mos.  Now with my 2nd I did the baby-lead-solids and its so much easier!!!  I wish I had known about this when I had my first.  :)  He started reaching for my plate around 5mos, so I'd give him a taste of whatever I was eating at dinner.  It would be a pinch here or there.  And then when he could pick up peas (around 6mos) he was feeding himself around 1-2tblsp of food at dinner time.  He is almost 9mos and gets oatmeal for bfast and then whatever we eat for dinner.  He feeds himself (he only has 2 teeth).  He can eat hamburger, chicken, etc.  The best first foods is avacado and banana, or even cook a sweet potato in the microwave (or a squash).  Super easy!  Always make sure baby gets a full nursing or bottle before you feed solids.  Solids are for fun and to introduce tastes and textures at this stage.  They are NOT to replace the formula or breast milk.  If baby doesn't want it, then don't force.  If you let them play with it they will eventually get the hang of it.  :)  Don't be scared to be messy!

emkirkley
by Silver Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 10:56 AM

infants aren't typically lactose intollerant, but older infants/toddlers/children and adults can be, if they can have other dairy that's lower in lactose content I would guess it's the lactose in the milk.

Lots has changed since I had my first and even second (11.5, 3.5 and 2 are  my kids ages) on both the food and car seat fronts.

Quoting MamaScho88:

My other 3 children are 8yrs, 4yrs, and 21 months old...I introduced my first two at 4-5 months to baby cereals and jarred foods, they were formula fed...my youngest was breastfed for the first 6 months, I didn't introduce cereal or jarred foods until he was 6-7 months old. I had no idea you could give eggs, nuts, and seafood at 6 months. I kept those things off limits until 12 months...actually he just had his first baked haddock dinner last week, and I only gave him tuna for the first time like 3 months ago! I gave him eggs at maybe 9 months, and peanut butter at 12 months, he drinks almond milk now because cows milk suddenly has started bothering his belly, making his poo mucousy and sour and was causing terrible diaper rash. He's not allergic to anything except for having the reaction to cows milk all of a sudden. My other kids don't have any allergies either, except my other son has the isue with cows milk too, that started at 10 months old when he was still on formula. They both can have as much cheese, yogurt, and other dairy products as they want without an issue, it's just the drinking cows milk...weird

Quoting emkirkley:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN