Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Would it be wrong to breastfeed AND bottlefeed with baby formula??

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 3:32 PM
  • 101 Replies

I was thinking of bottlefeeding as well as breastfeeding, so for say if i was too sore to breastfeed or i didnt have the energy to, should i bottlefeed baby formula? I get told by most people that I should stick to one thing, so if i bottlefeed with formula then i must stick with formula and if i breastfeed, I should stick with just breastmilk.  But is this really true ? Will it harm my babys system?

by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 3:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
pinkiebabii
by Bronze Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 3:37 PM
7 moms liked this
It will definitely harm baby to get formula, google just one bottle won't hurt or will it.
It is also bad for your supply to offer bottles. Every time baby has a bottle you should pump. It is much easier to just nurse.
If you must give bottles, use breast milk.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovinglife0682
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 3:38 PM
Most are not successful. Supplementing will hurt your supply. Being sore lasts such a short time.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
norahsmommy
by Bronze Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 3:44 PM
1 mom liked this
It will harm your milk supply unless you pump every time your baby gets a bottle. It's supply and demand. In the beginning you will have a ton of milk and it may not seem like a big deal. But after about 6 weeks you supply regulates to exactly what your baby demands. If he is getting bottles sometimes he won't be demanding from your body all that he needs. Your body won't make more milk than it has to and you will start having supply issues which will lead to more bottles and then less supply. Plus when you don't nurse frequently ( every time baby is hungry) you increase the likelyhood of being engorged and getting plugged ducts or mastitis.It really is easier to just nurse.
DragonMother10
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 3:47 PM
1 mom liked this
As a breastfeeding mom, I hate when other breastfeeding moms bash mothers who choose to forumula feed. With that said, don't worry about being tired or sore. My son has been teething and he his a bitter. It hurts like hell when he does and my nipples are sore, but I got used to dealing with it. You will feel the same.
Liz132
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 3:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Supplementing with formula will lower your milk supply the more formula you give the less milk you will make. If you want to give baby bottles from time to time it's a better idea to pump your own milk and give that to keep your supply up and to help prevent tummy upsets for your baby which switching back and forth may cause.

jackiewal10
by Silver Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 3:54 PM
3 moms liked this

It wouldn't be *WRONG*, but I would never do it.  For several reasons.  1.) Formula is very hard on a baby's stomach, in general.  And breastfed babies seem to generally have an even harder time with is because their bodies are use to breastmilk.  2.) You will not have sore nipples forever.  That phase lasts a few days to a few weeks and then it's over.  BUT, if you don't power through it and give formula when you're "too sore", then it's going to take you so much longer to get past that phase.  3.) Giving formula instead of nursing WILL hurt your breastmilk supply.  Breastmilk is a supply and demand process.  If you don't demand it (ie. give formula) you are telling your body that it doesn't need to make as much.  And last, but most important, 4.) breastmilk is THE best thing you could possibly give your child.

jackiewal10
by Silver Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 3:58 PM
2 moms liked this

Also, there ARE risks with formula, in any amount.  Breastfeeding reduces the risk of SIDS, future allergies (food and otherwise), it is sterile whereas formula is not, unless you buy the pre-made liquid.  BUT, if you're feeding formula to a newborn, it needs to be the premade liquid anyway.  There are huge dangers in feeding a newborn the powdered formula. 

eztwins
by Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 4:04 PM
I wouldn't say "wrong" but I think it causes problems. I did not bf so I can only speak from what I've been told from friends. Bottle to breast can cause nipple confusion. Apparently the sucking is diffrent. Also to successfully bf your supply needs to grow and that's done based on the baby nursing so if you don't do it enough your body won't produce enough milk. I'm sure there are more knowledgable mommas on here that can explain it better. I think mostly you kinda need to choose though. I could be wrong.
Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 4:14 PM
2 moms liked this
I don't think "wrong" would be the correct term.
Formula comes with risks, damages the virgin gut, and can cause issues for baby. Any time a bottle (whether formula or breastmilk) is given, you NEED to pump for that missed feeding or else you run the risk of painful engorgement, clogged ducts, mastitis (breast infection) and supply issues. Giving unnecessary bottles also risks baby developing bottle preference and/or nipple confusion which can then cause issues breastfeeding.
I'm not a formula basher by any means, I just know the facts and I've seen mom's crying for help after "just a couple bottles" turned into a baby not nursing and having to switch to full formula. I've been breastfeeding for over 2 years and there's nothing easier than popping a boob in baby's mouth lol!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamabens
by Silver Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 4:18 PM

This! It's not wrong but low to keep up your supply you'd have to pump for that missed feeding or your supply will tank.

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

I don't think "wrong" would be the correct term.
Formula comes with risks, damages the virgin gut, and can cause issues for baby. Any time a bottle (whether formula or breastmilk) is given, you NEED to pump for that missed feeding or else you run the risk of painful engorgement, clogged ducts, mastitis (breast infection) and supply issues. Giving unnecessary bottles also risks baby developing bottle preference and/or nipple confusion which can then cause issues breastfeeding.
I'm not a formula basher by any means, I just know the facts and I've seen mom's crying for help after "just a couple bottles" turned into a baby not nursing and having to switch to full formula. I've been breastfeeding for over 2 years and there's nothing easier than popping a boob in baby's mouth lol!

BabyFruit Ticker

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN