Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would it be wrong to breastfeed AND bottlefeed with baby formula??

Posted by   + Show Post

I was thinking of bottlefeeding as well as breastfeeding, so for say if i was too sore to breastfeed or i didnt have the energy to, should i bottlefeed baby formula? I get told by most people that I should stick to one thing, so if i bottlefeed with formula then i must stick with formula and if i breastfeed, I should stick with just breastmilk.  But is this really true ? Will it harm my babys system?

by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 3:32 PM
Replies (91-100):
mariee12
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:56 PM

Yeah! you can do both as long as the baby accept it.  

Baby_Avas_Momma
by Elizabeth on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:05 PM
1 mom liked this
That's actually called clusterfeeding and it's 100% normal. Baby isn't starving, baby is "tanking" up for the night and telling your body to keep making milk. :)

Quoting Andreaaa81:

You should ask your doctor! Don't pay too much attention to the opinion of others. Also, do what is best for your baby. I give my baby one bottle at night and the rest of the time I breast feed. She is FINE! In fact, I find my baby refuses to nurse at night. She pulls off and back on constantly. I couldn't figure it out. I thought it was gas, or constipation or noise or heat or cold....Turns out she was HUNGRY! So I don't feel bad for one bottle a day. It is what my baby is showing me she needs. I have talked to a doctor. He said it is PREFERED to only breastfeed, but you gotta do what you gotta do. 

Again! Ask your doctor

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Baby_Avas_Momma
by Elizabeth on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:08 PM
2 moms liked this
Honestly OP, please head over to the Breastfeeding Moms group. The amount of misinformation being flung around here is astounding.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Andreaaa81
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:26 PM

I am pretty sure it is not cluster feeding. We have been through that many times and it is not the same. She is literally on for 10 seconds, then off, then on and then off. It is torturous! I still stand by speaking to a doctor about these things....

Baby_Avas_Momma
by Elizabeth on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:46 PM
1 mom liked this
Doctors don't receive training in breastfeeding, unfortunately. Your milk isn't magically disappearing every night. Trust me mama, it's clusterfeeding. Take a quick look at this link (sorry it's not clicky, i'm mobile). Kellymom.com is THE go to site for breastfeeding, it's run by IBCLC's and everything written is fact.
http://kellymom.com/parenting/parenting-faq/fussy-evening/

Quoting Andreaaa81:

I am pretty sure it is not cluster feeding. We have been through that many times and it is not the same. She is literally on for 10 seconds, then off, then on and then off. It is torturous! I still stand by speaking to a doctor about these things....

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SewingMamaLele
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:53 PM

Quoting Andreaaa81:

You should ask your doctor! Don't pay too much attention to the opinion of others. Also, do what is best for your baby. I give my baby one bottle at night and the rest of the time I breast feed. She is FINE! In fact, I find my baby refuses to nurse at night. She pulls off and back on constantly. I couldn't figure it out. I thought it was gas, or constipation or noise or heat or cold....Turns out she was HUNGRY! So I don't feel bad for one bottle a day. It is what my baby is showing me she needs. I have talked to a doctor. He said it is PREFERED to only breastfeed, but you gotta do what you gotta do. 

Again! Ask your doctor

that's very normal infant behaviour.   either cluster feeding , growth support or supply regulation.   i exclusively breastfed two babies before my daughter and still had doubts when she did that with the first major supply regulation.   it's easy to second guess yourself, but the bottles probably really aren't needed.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:23 PM

My son does this every couple of nights. TOnight being one of them.  (:  Totally normal behavior.  My first child did as well.  He especially does when he has slept more during the day.  

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

Doctors don't receive training in breastfeeding, unfortunately. Your milk isn't magically disappearing every night. Trust me mama, it's clusterfeeding. Take a quick look at this link (sorry it's not clicky, i'm mobile). Kellymom.com is THE go to site for breastfeeding, it's run by IBCLC's and everything written is fact.

Quoting Andreaaa81:

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Andreaaa81
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:38 AM

Ok, well I will give it a try. It is just so sad to see my baby doing that. Last night I stuck it out and she calmed down after an hour or so...I guess the important thing is to REMAIN CALM! LOL I have to keep reminding myself that this is not going to last forever and no one is going to die from a baby crying now and then. She is generally very quiet and eating well...

Also, the reason I thought my milk was not good at night was because when I questioned myself I tried to pump and nothing came out. But that could be because I was stressed out over the situation??

Quoting Mom2Just1:

My son does this every couple of nights. TOnight being one of them.  (:  Totally normal behavior.  My first child did as well.  He especially does when he has slept more during the day.  

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

Quoting Andreaaa81:

Ptitchou
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:52 AM
1 mom liked this
Pump output isn't indicative of anything. My night output sssuucccckkkksss! And I have a gross oversupply. Stress does it too. I know it's hard and incredibly frustrating when baby pops on and off! I've punched my pillows many a time. It's normal and won't go on forever, like you said. Hang in there!!

Quoting Andreaaa81:

Ok, well I will give it a try. It is just so sad to see my baby doing that. Last night I stuck it out and she calmed down after an hour or so...I guess the important thing is to REMAIN CALM! LOL I have to keep reminding myself that this is not going to last forever and no one is going to die from a baby crying now and then. She is generally very quiet and eating well...

Also, the reason I thought my milk was not good at night was because when I questioned myself I tried to pump and nothing came out. But that could be because I was stressed out over the situation??

Quoting Mom2Just1:

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

Quoting Andreaaa81:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Journeysmama11
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:46 AM

I recommend checking out the breastfeeding group as well! They have been a great source of information for me as well as pretty much my only support, as I have none. And I've now successfully breastfed my son who is 8 months! Bottles are in NO way easier. Breastfeeding IS hard for the first few weeks. Some moms feel sensitive for 2 weeks and some, like me, for about 6 weeks. But its so worth it and rewarding to see your baby grow on your milk alone! Those first few nights/weeks are exhausting, but learn how to side-lay nursing and you can get rest while you feed baby, and check out safe ways to co-sleep so baby is within arms-reach. No getting up for a bottle, or steralizing or spending TONS of money on formula (it's crazy expensive)...your milk is ALWAYS there, perfect temp, anti-bodies for baby and perfect amount. But please check out the breastfeeding group like the pp said! :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)