Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

baby swim lessons

Posted by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 7:32 PM
  • 12 Replies
Did anyone do swimming lessons with your little ones. I'm terrified of water and i don't want DS to be the same way so we're doing lessons this summer. There are 2 classes for his age group. June (he'll be 5.5 months at the start) or august (8 months) that last 2 months each. They say start at 6 months but will test him in June to see if he's "ready" (he will be in a group made for his age for a 45 minute group and a 30 private once a week)

I want to hear anyone elses experiences if you did lessons with your little ones.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 7:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:19 PM

My husband actually did classes with the kid's. My kid's loved it.

poohbearkfc
by Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:11 PM
I am going to be looking into that this summer. My daughter will be one. But I have taken her swimming on my own. I'd say go for the June one. Children love water and won't splash you being afraid of the water that might be better for you.
abra
by Abra on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:31 PM

yup, we did mommy and me classes. :-)

StellarCaterp
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:51 AM
1 mom liked this

Congratulations on your recognition  that you would like your child to be safe and confident in the water.  Babies love swim lessons.  I run an online guide for parents about how babies learn skilled movement and I have written quite a bit about swim lessons.  Here are a couple of posts you may enjoy reading:

http://stellarcaterpillar.com/2011/07/15/can-babies-swim/

http://stellarcaterpillar.com/2011/07/19/baby-diving-reflex/

Ptitchou
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:56 AM
We did. It was a lot of fun. :)
Salem2012
by Anais on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:17 AM

I have not done swim lessons but we have gone to the pool and he likes to hold on to me with one hand and spash with the other lol.

mandapanda82
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:37 PM
My father in law teaches our lo's to swim stating when their little (depending on what time of year it is when their born.) like dd #1 was born in march so when she was like 5 mos he began bringing her in his pool. Last summer she was 4 and she is diving off the diving board! Dd #2 will be 1 in aug so as soon as he opens the pool he will take her in. I think it's a great idea to get your lo accustomed to the water!
Eliots_momma
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 4:11 PM
Mine is signed up for May. I'm really excited!
angela.bouchard
by Angela on Apr. 3, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Yes I did mommy and me lessons with my son. We waited until he was two though but there were infants in the class and they actually did great! One thing most of the toddlers struggled with was laying flat on their back with their ears in the water. The infants all did this perfectly lol. But other wise my son loved it. Have fun with it!

cowgirls10181
by Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 4:18 PM
My mom tought baby swim, it was fun and the kids loved it! So did the parents.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)