Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Lactation or hormonal headaches after baby

Posted by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:49 PM
  • 15 Replies
I had my baby boy last Thursday and Saturday night, Monday, and today I've had headaches. Monday being the worst of it and Sunday I didn't have one. I would describe it as a tension like headache. I DID NOT have an epidural. My blood pressure is a little high. My doctor says its probably due to my blood pressure, lack of sleep, and stress of bombardment of visitors even though I requested no one come over. I was also wondering about lactation headaches because I read about those. My breasts became engorged almost overnight and that's when my headache was the worst. Has anyone else experienced postpartum headaches or any of the sort? I worry about everything and I probably shouldn't because worrying always makes things worse.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
abra
by Abra on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:01 PM

Are you staying well hydrated? I had to drink about 120oz of water a day to avoid migraines while I was breastfeeding. 

MrsThebus
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:03 PM
2 moms liked this
I'm trying super hard to drink more water. I've been keeping bottles on me to drink throughout the day. I hope it helps!

Quoting abra:

Are you staying well hydrated? I had to drink about 120oz of water a day to avoid migraines while I was breastfeeding. 

lauratupper
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:40 AM

be sure you are staying hydrated, also when my milk came in and my breasts would get really full the pressure on my chest would give me a headache. I would try to pump or express a little.

emkirkley
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:58 AM

I did when I had postpartum pre-e...6 weeks of procardia, and I was good to go on the headache and blood pressure fronts.

make sure you are drinking more water than you think you need to be, salt to taste, and EAT ENOUGH, it takes more calories to nurse than to be pregnant.

MrsThebus
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:12 AM
I'm keeping a bottle of water by me at all times, I just hope I'm drinking enough! I didn't seem to have this issue with my daughter 4 years ago. Every pregnancy and recovery is so different it's scary lol.

Quoting lauratupper:

be sure you are staying hydrated, also when my milk came in and my breasts would get really full the pressure on my chest would give me a headache. I would try to pump or express a little.

MrsThebus
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:22 AM
Yes my doctor told me that I'm borderline pree but to just rest as much as possible.

Quoting emkirkley:

I did when I had postpartum pre-e...6 weeks of procardia, and I was good to go on the headache and blood pressure fronts.

make sure you are drinking more water than you think you need to be, salt to taste, and EAT ENOUGH, it takes more calories to nurse than to be pregnant.

reneer1
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:59 AM
I had migraines monthly until I got pregnant and then had one from about day4 pp until day 8. None awhile bf though.
emkirkley
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:05 PM

just keep an eye on your bp and if you headache doesn't go away call back

Quoting MrsThebus:

Yes my doctor told me that I'm borderline pree but to just rest as much as possible.

Quoting emkirkley:

kaybri2012
by Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:07 PM

It could be a combination of both - I hear that lactation causes bad headaches.  I never experienced that, BUT I did have the epidural headache and needed a blood patch in my spin to fix it.  Nothing like multiple trips up your spine. 

twogirl91
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:10 PM

Drink a lot of water, it could be your hormones changing so much after having your baby, with both my kids I had headaches on and off for the first couple of weeks, it eventually went away though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)