• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My 15 month old hits!

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 5:54 AM
  • 9 Replies

When anyone asks my 15 month old for a kiss or offers her a toy or food she doesn't want, she smacks them or pushes the toy, food, etc away. Any suggestions on how I can get her to stop hitting?

by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 5:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
rugayah
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:29 AM
I'm no help at all. My 6month old started doing that a few days ago. Let's hope some of the other moms can give us both some advice. I've tried showing her how to touch softly,bt it don't seem to work
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lauratupper
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:31 AM

bump

Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:02 AM
What we did with dd when she was very very young was to grab her hands and slowly rub her face, our faces, our pets, baby dolls and say things like "nice, gentle, love". We did it very often and she caught on very quickly, her 3rd word was "nice" when she was 6 months old lol! She just turned 2 and has never gone through any "hitting" stage.
Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mylilprincesses
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:03 PM
Hold her hand and explain to her we don't hit and put her in time out. Be constant about it or it won't work.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
angela.bouchard
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 5:42 PM

We did this but said "we need to be soft". He's never gone through a major hitting phase but occasionally if he does it playfully and I ask him to be nice he will rub his hand and say "i be soft" lol. 

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

What we did with dd when she was very very young was to grab her hands and slowly rub her face, our faces, our pets, baby dolls and say things like "nice, gentle, love". We did it very often and she caught on very quickly, her 3rd word was "nice" when she was 6 months old lol! She just turned 2 and has never gone through any "hitting" stage.
Good luck!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

“So, I guess we are who we are for alot of reasons. And maybe we'll never know most of them. But even if we don't have the power to choose where we come from, we can still choose where we go from there. We can still do things. And we can try to feel okay about them.” 

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:46 PM

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

Good luck!

I did very similar except I did nice touch instead of nice, gentle, love. I would sometimes kiss their hands too so they would know exactly what a nice touch was. Because of that my son who is now 2 used to run up and kiss my hand, LOL

erikays
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 7:43 AM
Totally normal, this what we do and it works for us.

Quoting mylilprincesses:

Hold her hand and explain to her we don't hit and put her in time out. Be constant about it or it won't work.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Turtledoves
by Ruby Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 7:23 PM

Teach her to be gentle. 

Ever since my daughter was 6 months old, long before she ever thought to hit, I would take her hand, gently run it along my cheek and say "gentle". Then I'd do the action to her so she knew what it felt like. 

Once she became a toddler, a few times she did try to hit. I immediately would say "no no, be gentle" and her instant response was to gently rub wherever she had hit. She never hits anyone now.

Same things work with our dogs. If she ever gets overly excited and starts to be rough, I tell her gentle. She always knows right away how to pet softly and nicely then.

Femommy
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:25 PM
My son is 17m and he is at the stage of hitting too. I tell him to stop being ugly and it's not nice. He knows I mean business at the time but later he does it again. He's the worlds worst at throwing things too. Already give his nine year old brother to bruses from throwing things. If you find something that works please share.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)