Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Waking up at 4 am all of a sudden

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:27 AM
  • 6 Replies

Hi - this is my first post and need some advice please.

My 7 month old is usually a great sleeper.  He would get up once to eat and then fall right back to sleep. Would normally have to wake him up in the am to go to work.   The past 4 nights he has been getting up at 4 am and not wanting to eat or go back to sleep.  Just wants to play until around 6:30 when we have to get up for work then he falls back to sleep. He's not crying when he wakes up either.

He was sleeping in our bed and his bassinett since birth but 2 weeks ago moved him to his crib and was doing great for a bit but now this.  We even tried bringing him back into the bed with us - no luck.

How do I know if this is a teething issue that is waking him up or just a phase?  Has anyone done sleep training?  Not sure if i can do that....

Thanks!

CafeMom Tickers
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Mandamom1
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:30 PM

It could be teething. His gums would be swollen and he would be biting on his hands. Atleast thats what my 7 month old does. Sometimes she wakes up in the middle of the night and just plays. I dont go and get her if shes not crying. I have a stuffed animal in the corner of her crib that she grabs to play with. If they are not hungry or anything then I wouldnt worry about it. My dd falls back asleep after she plays for a little bit. Sometimes I go in there to give her a pacifier to help out but I dont take her out.

They are going through alot of changes right now it could be a growth spurt or teething or learning a new skill and that messes with their sleep patterns.

I did sleep training in the beginning. If you want to do that you need to be consistent or it wont work.

.stella.
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:33 PM

perhaps try putting him down later in the evening?

keri0618
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Thanks - that's what I was thinking as well - can be so frustrating when it just happens and he never did this before...Thank you

YzmaRocks
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:50 PM
First of all, you are not alone! It is not uncommon or abnormal for babies around this age to go through sleep disturbances or regressions. All of mine went through this somewhere between 7-9 months, to some extent. It could be teething, growth spurt, seperation anxiety, new milestones, more awareness of surroundings, or any combination those things. The good news is - it's just a phase and will pass! For most, it passes fairly quickly. One of mine just did that a few times, another was...let's just say he was more challenging, lol.

If this is a consistant, every morning type deal, you could try tweaking bedtime and see if that makes a difference. That is what worked with my middle child. The other two (mentioned above) I just had to wait it out.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
abra
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 5:12 PM

It's normal for babies to go through phases like that, especially when they are teething. If he isn't crying, though, I'd just let him hang out. 

Sleep training is only to practice when you know for sure nothing else could be wrong. But if you are sure, this is the method that worked well for us: http://www.cafemom.com/group/113812/forums/read/15376333/An_Introduction_to_Compassionate_CIO_Sleep_Training

Good luck! 

.....Ophelia Grace...............Mira Lorne...............Jude Bennett.........Liam Daniel Baines.

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:45 PM

Sounds like a phase. Teething can really mess with babies sleep schedules.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)