Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Any advice for my baby's first cold?!?

Posted by   + Show Post

First time Mommy here, my little girl is almost four months and she has her first cold. Last nite we noticed she was congested and this morning she has a stuffy nose. She hasn't really been much fussier then normal. Should i expect more to come maybe? Other then cuddle her and comfort her, what else should i be doing for her? This is my baby's first cold and i am somewhat worried only because it's all new to me. Any advice would help, Thanks!

by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:03 PM
Replies (11-17):
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Saline drops and cool mist humdifier

How is she feeling now?

---terrah---
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:39 PM
1 mom liked this

What all the rest of the ladies are saying. We also are big fans of steaming our LOs in the shower. Just shut the bathroom door and run the shower as hot as you can make it. Let the bathroom steam up and just sit in there with your LO. It does wonders for congestion.

Other than that...saline, make sure your LO is not lying flat on her back but in an incline position, humidifier and Tylenol if she seems uncomfortable. We tried Vicks on our LO's feet and it didn't work for us...but other people swear by it.

NancyD85
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:42 PM

She's actually been pretty good! Only a little fussy at times but that's normal, her first cold doesn't seem to be too bad thankfully!

Quoting la_bella_vita:

How is she feeling now?

NancyD85
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:43 PM

I'm gonna try 'steaming' her! :) Haven't tried the vicks yet but hubby just bought her some baby vicks, maybe tonite!

Quoting ---terrah---:

What all the rest of the ladies are saying. We also are big fans of steaming our LOs in the shower. Just shut the bathroom door and run the shower as hot as you can make it. Let the bathroom steam up and just sit in there with your LO. It does wonders for congestion.

Other than that...saline, make sure your LO is not lying flat on her back but in an incline position, humidifier and Tylenol if she seems uncomfortable. We tried Vicks on our LO's feet and it didn't work for us...but other people swear by it.

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:45 PM
1 mom liked this

That's good, I hope she feels better soon!

Quoting NancyD85:

She's actually been pretty good! Only a little fussy at times but that's normal, her first cold doesn't seem to be too bad thankfully!

Quoting la_bella_vita:

How is she feeling now?

Xansmomma1112
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 3:07 PM
1 mom liked this

This exactly.  My only addition is saline drops and sucking out her nose when needed.

Hope she's feeling better soon!  

Quoting cyork2:

cool mist humidifier for sure, they also make baby Vicks rub with chamomile, put some on her feet with socks. Hope she feels better, and if it gets worse I wouldn't hesitate to take her to.a doctor.

emkirkley
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 3:46 PM
1 mom liked this

IF it effects her eating, spray or drip saline spray in her nose to help thin the mucous and then suction it out, let her sleep in the swing, rock n play or car seat if she can't breathe while she sleeps, tylenol for general crankiness/headache, if it lasts more than 7 days or she starts gagging/throwing up or running a fever over 101 then take her to the doctor.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN