Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

9 month old not eating.

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:44 PM
  • 6 Replies

Hi,

My 9 month old for the past week has been refusing his vegetable, cereal and fruit in the morning and seems to gag more on certain foods that he usually loves.  He is still congested from having the flu last week and I am wondering if all the snot would make him not eat?  I also think that some days he is teething.  He is drinking his bottles, but some days he only gets about 20 ounces and then some days he will get anywhere from 24-30.  Do some babies get bored with food?  Could he be going through a phase?  I want to try new foods and get him going in the right direction but it is hard when he gags, or doesn't even want to try.  He also pukes sometimes when he gags...

Sara

by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
MixedCooke
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:51 AM

yes generally when a child is sick they tend to eat less.  not being able to smell the food can also play a role as to why he is refusing it.  He could be gagging not because of the actual food but because of the taste of it.  Technically you are supposed to try a single type of food for a few days to watch for any food allergy.

oliver92
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 3:09 AM

play around with different things and find something he does like, his tastes may have changed, if he is learning to puke when he dosent want something, thats a bad habit to break, introduce new foods, or go back to basics. Of just offer a bottle. take it slow and then build back up.

StellarCaterp
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Hi Sara:

You might want to try a teething feeder:  

http://stellarcaterpillar.com/2013/04/02/baby-not-eating-try-this-baby-product/

When he fully recovers from being sick he will probably regain his hunger and willingness to eat.  In the meantime, the teething feeder helps him get more nutrition.

Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:50 AM
Are you still feeding him "baby food"? If so, give him real food. Let him feed himself. It's also normal to have a food aversion for a bit after being sick, I wouldn't worry. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
boswell5711
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:25 PM

So today my son was at Daycare and kept all of his bottles down fine, ate his squash fine and then 25 minutes later the squash came back up!  He isn't sick and is acting fine.  There is something going on with his foods.  We went to the doctor today for his 9 month check up and uped his dosage on zantac to see if that could be causing this? It is just so weird to me how all of a sudden he is refusing and puking his food.  We did find out today that he has 2 new teeth that came in on top.  It always happens that we go to the doctor and that same day he does something to where I wish I could ask them and go again.  Hopefully this is just a phase.  Has anyone else had this kind of problem with their little one??

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Bump

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)