Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Praising a formula brand!

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:49 PM
  • 13 Replies
Yes, before the bashers come out...I know breast milk is best. I tried, I tried really hard. My supply wasn't enough, she was losing too much (according to the ped) and so formula was forced on me. Now she's only on it. I'm posting this because of my response to another post from another mom. She was asking for help with a constipated 2 week old. So the first formula I had Ella on was from 2 weeks to about 2 months. She spent the last 2-ish weeks constipated. I spoke to the ped and they said to start giving her 1 oz infant apple juice mixed with 1 oz water. That was every day because that formula (Enfamil Gentleease) had her so bound up if she didn't get it daily she couldn't go. Now let me say Ella is NOT a fussy baby. No colic, no fussiness, issues with gas, etc. other than enfamil made her constipated. Sadly that's what the ped told me to put her on, even giving me 6 cans of it. Well I got sick of watching her grunt, groan, cry, and pass out exhausted just from trying to poo. I tried massage, helping her work her legs, and nothing helped other than the juice. Finally I spoke to a registered dietician. Gerber Good Start "Gentle" was recommended. I introduced it by substituting one bottle the first day, 2 the next (in a row) and so on until she was on nothing but Gerber. 3 days in the constipation was gone, and she was back to a once a day pooper like when she was bf. She also has bf baby poos. Seedy and soft. I just can't praise this formula enough. The 100% whey proteins is so the way to go. Doing the 1 bottle a day introduction we had no issues with her tummy rejecting the new stuff. Anyways, I know that formula swapping is so hard on a baby normally, and you want to keep them on what you start them on typically, so that's my recommendation. I just wish I had a better ped at the time, for her sake. Also to the best of my knowledge, Gerber is the only company that offers 100% whey, everyone else seems to be around 80% casein and 20% whey. I'm told that mimics mothers milk, but it's my opinion that the proof is in the poo. Or in the instance of Enfamil, the lack of.
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
merryvoice
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:31 PM
My baby had the same issues. I couldn't breastfeed so formula was my only option. However, what I use is Nutramigen because of her tummy issues. we also use apple juice on the rare occasion that she needs it. it really works wonders1
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Randi02
by Platinum Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:08 PM

I have never formula fed, but you might want to watch if there is DHA/ARA added. That can change their poop, and it's being investigated by the FDA right now for causing chronic digestive issues.

Formula fed babies don't have seedy yellow poops like breastfed babies. It should be more like peanut butter.

That's great that your baby is more comfortable, but it might be worth looking into.

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:54 PM

Bump

abra
by Abra on Apr. 4, 2013 at 3:55 PM
I used Enfamil soy and then Gerber with my first baby (over 7 years ago). She is happy, healthy, smart and confident! I am so thankful we have alternatives for when breastfeeding just isn't an option. :-)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
westtxmomtobe
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 5:52 PM

do you have a good resource for the dha ara info? skimmed fda's site and other than blogs posted by private people im not finding much info. nothing on fda about risks associated with dha ara. also im reading there is only one formula made that does not contain it, its in all

Quoting Randi02:

I have never formula fed, but you might want to watch if there is DHA/ARA added. That can change their poop, and it's being investigated by the FDA right now for causing chronic digestive issues.

Formula fed babies don't have seedy yellow poops like breastfed babies. It should be more like peanut butter.

That's great that your baby is more comfortable, but it might be worth looking into.

pittymama
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 6:06 PM

i use enfamil gentlease and it works well for my DD. glad you found a formula that worked for your LO :)

erikays
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 8:00 AM
I used that with my oldest! Glad you found one you love.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FarmGirl2B
by Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:11 AM
I found this.

Quoting westtxmomtobe:

do you have a good resource for the dha ara info? skimmed fda's site and other than blogs posted by private people im not finding much info. nothing on fda about risks associated with dha ara. also im reading there is only one formula made that does not contain it, its in all

Quoting Randi02:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
1CrazyCajun
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Me too. I tried so hard for over 2 months to breast feed. Things just didn't work out. Enfamil was hard on LO stomach too. omg, the gas was terrible. Gerber worked so much better for us. Glad you found something that worked.

Mainstream Moms Attached Parenting/Crunchy not quite your style?Come join other like minded moms.

PrOuDaRmYWiF08
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Similac Alimentum was our lifesaver! I breastfed for 4 months and the entire time he was miserable and had TONS of tummy troubles, I even cut out almost everything that could be upsetting his tummy but nothing helped. I tried 5-6 different formulas before finding the Alimentum. It helped him tremedously and made him a much happier baby :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)