Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

A diaper question

Posted by   + Show Post
I am pregnant and I started thinking about diapers and their cost.
For you experienced moms: how much do you spend on diapers? Has any of you tried cloth diapers? Do they actually work?
Thanks!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 1:11 PM
Replies (41-46):
g5em
by Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:37 PM
Thank you for your tips. They're really helpful :)
I hope you don't mind this question: does your house smell like poop? I just told my husband we're mostly goog for cloth and he wasn't a big fan :-/ Because of the poop smell issue.

Quoting cabrandy03:

We use cloth and yes they really work.  It has saved us tons of money and it's also better for baby and the planet.  Disposables are full of nasty chemicals. 

There are all sorts of different kinds of cloth diapers.  Some are cheaper then others, it all depends on what your looking for in a diaper.  If you want to diaper for the least ammount of money look into prefolds and covers.  If convience is more important to you and you have a little more money to spend look into all-in-ones or all-in-twos.  If you want to learn more about cloth diapering check out the cuties with cloth booties group.

We mostly used prefolds with Bumpkin covers and I have a few Kushies all-in-ones for night time and long outings.  I bought all my diapers at diapers.com

cabrandy03
by Brandy on Apr. 5, 2013 at 11:04 PM

A lot of people seem to worry about that lol.  What I do is plop any solid poop into the toilet and rinse the rest off into the toilet with a diaper sprayer (it's a little sprayer that hooks up to our bathroom sink).  For a while when we didn't have the diaper sprayer we just rinsed them in the shower or sink.  I also have a diaper pail with a lid so that keeps the smell contained.  Another idea if you don't want to deal with rinsing diapers is disposable diaper liners.  They're just these little disposable liners your put inside the diaper and when baby goes you just peel it out and flush it down the toilet that way very little poop ever ends up on the actual diaper.  And no my house doesn't smell at all.

Quoting g5em:

I hope you don't mind this question: does your house smell like poop? I just told my husband we're mostly goog for cloth and he wasn't a big fan :-/ Because of the poop smell issue.

Quoting cabrandy03:

We use cloth and yes they really work.  It has saved us tons of money and it's also better for baby and the planet.  Disposables are full of nasty chemicals. 

There are all sorts of different kinds of cloth diapers.  Some are cheaper then others, it all depends on what your looking for in a diaper.  If you want to diaper for the least ammount of money look into prefolds and covers.  If convience is more important to you and you have a little more money to spend look into all-in-ones or all-in-twos.  If you want to learn more about cloth diapering check out the cuties with cloth booties group.

We mostly used prefolds with Bumpkin covers and I have a few Kushies all-in-ones for night time and long outings.  I bought all my diapers at diapers.com

louzannalady
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 11:08 PM
louzannalady
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 11:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Here is info on the various types of cloth diapers. 

http://www.cafemom.com/group/117811/forums/read/18327337/Types_of_cloth_diapers

g5em
by Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 2:29 PM
All figured out then :). Thanks for your tips! Really helpful.

Quoting cabrandy03:

A lot of people seem to worry about that lol.  What I do is plop any solid poop into the toilet and rinse the rest off into the toilet with a diaper sprayer (it's a little sprayer that hooks up to our bathroom sink).  For a while when we didn't have the diaper sprayer we just rinsed them in the shower or sink.  I also have a diaper pail with a lid so that keeps the smell contained.  Another idea if you don't want to deal with rinsing diapers is disposable diaper liners.  They're just these little disposable liners your put inside the diaper and when baby goes you just peel it out and flush it down the toilet that way very little poop ever ends up on the actual diaper.  And no my house doesn't smell at all.

Quoting g5em:

Quoting cabrandy03:

KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 5:02 PM
1 mom liked this
Using disposables is fine with one baby but it adds up considering most kids will be in diapers 2-4.5 years on average.

I didn't even consider cloth until #3. I had 3 kids in diapers and even just using cloth on my youngest saved me a ton. Now he's the only one in diapers full-time:-)

When I had my first I used Kirkland brand it cost me $50 for 2-3 months supply. That cost doubled when my second came 16 months. I had to buy diapers every month so I literally threw away hundreds of dollars on diapers.

My youngest sons diapers cost me $108 with free shipping from Sunbaby. Frequent washings have worn the diapers some but they have held up. I bought 24 and washing them every 2-3 days only 4 aren't usable (snaps fell off/elastic gave out because I dry them in the dryer on low.)

I'll be buying more soon and expect them to last atleast another 2 years or more. So if he potty trains by 4 that's just over $200 birth to potty training:-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN