Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Posted by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 6:06 PM
  • 14 Replies
I would like to wean my 15 month old ds. Every time I try to take away a feeding, he screams, cries, tears at my shirt, etc. (DS 1 was really easy to wean and did none of this). I do not want weaning to be upsetting for him, but the only advice anyone has is to let him scream, cry, CIO. Does anyone have any tips for a gentler weaning process?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 6:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lovinmyboys...
by Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 6:12 PM
Bump
lovinmyboys...
by Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 6:15 PM
No one?
lovinmyboys...
by Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 6:18 PM
So no one has weaned gently?
MTSuperMomof4
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 6:26 PM

I didn't really have a choice when I weaned my last one. I think with my middle ds, I offered food first then a sippy, and lastly, if he really thought he needed it I would nurse....by then he would be pretty full. I made him feel like a 'big' boy, like his older brother. It was some work but eventually he just quit nursing. I had an inkling that he would be hard to wean so I started when he was around a year. 

SewingMamaLele
by Silver Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 6:33 PM
2 moms liked this
You really can't expect a 15 month old to wean without a fight.

Any specific reason you want to wean now? I would definitely take his behavior as a sign that he's not at all ready.

If you want to keep pushing it, distract and delay. "not right now", "after lunch", etc...
Brandy85412
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 6:39 PM

You might just have to do it more slowly. Have you tried just limiting where you will nurse? like when your out you don't. Just at home. The distract with other things. Activities, Snacks and drinks.

graycalico
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 7:01 PM
I'd wait until he was ready
lovinmyboys...
by Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:14 PM
I am just beyond exhausted because he still nurses 2 to 3 times a night. I am also getting a lot of pressure from everyone to wean him..."because if you don't, he will be nursing until he is 4". I am not super comfortable with nursing a toddler. I used to think nursing past a year was creepy.

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

You really can't expect a 15 month old to wean without a fight.

Any specific reason you want to wean now? I would definitely take his behavior as a sign that he's not at all ready.

If you want to keep pushing it, distract and delay. "not right now", "after lunch", etc...
lovinmyboys...
by Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:15 PM
Thank you.

Quoting MTSuperMomof4:

I didn't really have a choice when I weaned my last one. I think with my middle ds, I offered food first then a sippy, and lastly, if he really thought he needed it I would nurse....by then he would be pretty full. I made him feel like a 'big' boy, like his older brother. It was some work but eventually he just quit nursing. I had an inkling that he would be hard to wean so I started when he was around a year. 

lovinmyboys...
by Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:17 PM
I have tried distraction. It only works for a little bit. Then he tends to try to make it up by nursing more.

Quoting Brandy85412:

You might just have to do it more slowly. Have you tried just limiting where you will nurse? like when your out you don't. Just at home. The distract with other things. Activities, Snacks and drinks.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)