Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!

I would like to wean my 15 month old ds. Every time I try to take away a feeding, he screams, cries, tears at my shirt, etc. (DS 1 was really easy to wean and did none of this). I do not want weaning to be upsetting for him, but the only advice anyone has is to let him scream, cry, CIO. Does anyone have any tips for a gentler weaning process?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 6:06 PM
Replies (11-14):
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:57 PM

I did pumped bottles and just cut out feedings.

YzmaRocks
by Platinum Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:06 PM
Have you tried just night weaning?

Quoting lovinmyboys...:

I am just beyond exhausted because he still nurses 2 to 3 times a night. I am also getting a lot of pressure from everyone to wean him..."because if you don't, he will be nursing until he is 4". I am not super comfortable with nursing a toddler. I used to think nursing past a year was creepy.

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

You really can't expect a 15 month old to wean without a fight.

Any specific reason you want to wean now? I would definitely take his behavior as a sign that he's not at all ready.

If you want to keep pushing it, distract and delay. "not right now", "after lunch", etc...
Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:07 PM
First, try night weaning. Look up Dr. Jay Gordon's article, it's gentle and works great! Also, keep in mind that weaning when baby isn't ready is really tough on them and can even be traumatic, so doing it as slow and gentle as possible really is the best way, not to mention that weaning too quickly puts *your* health at risk also. Lots of distracting, try not to just say "no", try saying "after we do [insert activity]". If a tantrum occurs, treat it like any other tantrum and don't give in. If you can get past the night weaning and want to continue to full weaning, drop one feeding per week until all gone. And don't do this because of what other people say, child led weaning is extremely beneficial and NORMAL. Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovinmyboys...
by Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:29 PM
Thank you.

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

First, try night weaning. Look up Dr. Jay Gordon's article, it's gentle and works great! Also, keep in mind that weaning when baby isn't ready is really tough on them and can even be traumatic, so doing it as slow and gentle as possible really is the best way, not to mention that weaning too quickly puts *your* health at risk also. Lots of distracting, try not to just say "no", try saying "after we do [insert activity]". If a tantrum occurs, treat it like any other tantrum and don't give in. If you can get past the night weaning and want to continue to full weaning, drop one feeding per week until all gone. And don't do this because of what other people say, child led weaning is extremely beneficial and NORMAL. Good luck!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)