Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms who have given baby cows milk or eggs before a year-

Posted by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:34 PM
  • 88 Replies
So with my son, we were told by pediatricians (yes more than 1)to start feeding baby foods at 4 months, by 6 mo he can have 4 oz of water or juice a day (in a sippi, not bottle) start introducing cows milk in a sippi around 11 mo. But mix it w/bm or formula at first 1/4-3/4, then 1/2-1/2...etc. then at 12 mo he will be used to milk and better at taking the bottle away. 2 1/2 years later w/dd thy say NO food til at least 6 mo, no water/juice, and absolutely no milk!!! Considering all this worked great for ds, we did same things with dd.

We also introduced several foods sooner than expected, which peds said it was ok if we only do one at a time and it was ok because no one on either side of family has any food allergies.

So....how many of you have given milk sooner than a year, or eggs, or juice, any of that?? I would love to give dd eggs because that would be a good food for her to eat on her own right now, but we are holding off on that one until she is closer to a year.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alandou
by April on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:42 PM
The advice had changed probably due to research over the years. My daughter will be 4 years old this summer and I was tips not to give those to dd until she was atleast a year old.
abra
by Abra on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:47 PM
2 moms liked this

I introduce eggs around 9 months, but we have our own laying hens so I know exactly what I'm feeding my kids. No juice or cows milk until after they turn 1, though. 

Briangel
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:47 PM
I know, it's crazy how much changes!! My grandma had 5 kids and there were no carseats back then, now they recommend them in a booster until they are 12 years old!!

And the things my mil tells me, it would make many moms on here cringe!! Lol. She was giving both her kids rice cereal at 2 weeks old! They both survived and neither one is overweight (some people were telling me if make m kids overweight if I fed them rice cereal before 6 months)

Quoting alandou:

The advice had changed probably due to research over the years. My daughter will be 4 years old this summer and I was tips not to give those to dd until she was atleast a year old.

Nicki1995
by Silver Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:01 PM
1 mom liked this
Iv done all that. It worked out fine.
The_Doodle
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:03 PM
1 mom liked this

I gave very diluted juice and eggs before a year. The eggs I started around 10 months or so...she used to love hard boiled eggs. We never gave her regular milk until she was right around a year, give or take a week.

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:05 PM
1 mom liked this

I never did milk before a year but I introduced eggs around 10 months.

sarahsmommy508
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:10 PM
Not milk before a year, but I did eggs at 10 months
Baby_Avas_Momma
by Elizabeth on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:14 PM
We don't do cows milk for dd. She continued to breastfeed after a year. Juice and rice cereal garbage she got, but not for long because I realized her pedi was a moron and was giving outdated advice so we stopped that real quick. For eggs she probably had them around 10-11 months, but didn't like them until she was well over a year old.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DragonInfinity
by Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:18 PM
1 mom liked this

We gave our youngest (11months) whole milk, eggs, juice, table food, etc.. before she was 8months.  Our oldest wasn't really started on those till he was 11months. Our kids did fine..... whatever works for you family I say go for it, just take it one step at a time.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safety in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming, "WOO HOO, what a ride!!!"

DragonInfinity
by Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:22 PM

Oh, yes, give it about 20-30years and all the research/information will change.......again....

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safety in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming, "WOO HOO, what a ride!!!"

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)