Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms who have given baby cows milk or eggs before a year-

Posted by   + Show Post
So with my son, we were told by pediatricians (yes more than 1)to start feeding baby foods at 4 months, by 6 mo he can have 4 oz of water or juice a day (in a sippi, not bottle) start introducing cows milk in a sippi around 11 mo. But mix it w/bm or formula at first 1/4-3/4, then 1/2-1/2...etc. then at 12 mo he will be used to milk and better at taking the bottle away. 2 1/2 years later w/dd thy say NO food til at least 6 mo, no water/juice, and absolutely no milk!!! Considering all this worked great for ds, we did same things with dd.

We also introduced several foods sooner than expected, which peds said it was ok if we only do one at a time and it was ok because no one on either side of family has any food allergies.

So....how many of you have given milk sooner than a year, or eggs, or juice, any of that?? I would love to give dd eggs because that would be a good food for her to eat on her own right now, but we are holding off on that one until she is closer to a year.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:34 PM
Replies (81-88):
beachlove512
by Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 6:45 PM

DS is almost 11 months and I recently gave him egg yolks (hardboiled). He is breastfed and I have not given him cow's milk. I don't plan on doing so until he's a year old. I don't think babies should be given juice because it's unnecessary. It's just full of sugar and babies don't need that.

Summerlion1123
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 2:14 AM
I give juice for constipation. Baby girl is only 7 months, haven't done any eggs or milk and don't remember with my son.
MisfitInTN
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 6:48 AM
We will not introduce cows milk or eggs until the gi dr oks it through a food challenge. They arw both things ive had to eliminate to nurse him and we know hes allergic to cows milk and more thwn likely eggs too. With my oldest we didnt start either until around 18 momths
1CrazyCajun
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 10:43 AM

DS didn't have cow milk until after 1.

I let him have apple or pear juice around at 9 mo, but it is watered down: 1/4 cp juice 3/4 cp water. I usually just give water if he's thirsty.

Eggs, I gave at 10 mo, only because my FIL raises them and I know what goes in them. Nothing harmful. We also get our beef from him.

Mainstream Moms Attached Parenting/Crunchy not quite your style?Come join other like minded moms.

gilbertgrl627
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 10:51 AM

I gave DD eggs shortly before she turned 1yr. She was probably 11 months or so. I held off on cow's milk until after 1yr. She would get a little bit of juice before she turned 1yr, but it was a very small amount because (apparently) my kids can only handle a very small amount of juice until they're closer to 2yrs.

DS1 did not have any eggs or cow's milk until he was over 18 months. He had food allergies, and egg and dairy were two of them. He has thankfully outgrown them and LOVES eggs. lol. DS2 is almost 14 months and I waited until after he was 1yr to give him those things, mostly because of DS1's allergies.

Mandamom1
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 11:30 AM

my dd is 7 months. She hasnt had milk or eggs. But she has had some juice mixed with water. My ped said the extra fluid helps when she has so much formula and solids.

Owensmom1288
by Melissa on Apr. 8, 2013 at 12:31 PM

My son is 8 months old, has been breast fed since he was born and we started givig him rice cereal around 5 months then moved onto oatmeal. He now is eating baby food and I still nurse him. I am starting to introduce real food a little at a time to get him used to it and different textures and flavors. I gave him a scrambed egg yolk for the first time the other day and he liked it and had no problem with it. I am holding off on the egg white because that is the part that will cause allergies. I am also holdig off on cow's milk until I talk to his pediatrician at his next visit in a couple of weeks. I don't feel there is a need to rush him onto cow's milk since I plan to breastfeed him until he is a year old.

stargazerwolf
by Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 1:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Eggs probably since about 7/8 months, just on occasion, she's 11 months now and she has eggs for breakfast a few days of the week if I don't give her oatmeal. No cow's milk yet, but I put yogurt in her oatmeal, juice she got occasionally from about 6 months, now she has it still diluted 50/50 at least once a day in a sippy. There's no reason to not give juice diluted before a year as long as baby is eating solids, after all if it is 100% juice and diluted it gives them some good nutrition, just of course don't get more than 4oz or so because of natural sugars. You feed your kid fruit before a year right? Not much differance. Honestly especially by 10/11 months kids can eat practically anything we do as long as it's not junk food, they don't change that much from 10/11 months to a year...

My 11 month old eats what we eat, but either softened more or even blended if its something fairly hard to eat, torn apart really good if its tougher meat like steak, she still gets about 6oz of formula 3 times a day, then eats regular food, with a sippy of diluted juice or sometimes just water. She will be a year on May 4th and we may the next couple of weeks introduce a little cows milk as we begin to reduce formula as she already gets yogurt. Bottles and pacis go away at a year old as well.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)