Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Cereal for reflux...

Posted by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 11:55 PM
  • 48 Replies

About three weeks ago, we took my LO to the doctor because we thought he was sick and it turns out he has severe acid reflux. We were given medicine to give him twice a day but it only made him spit up more, as have every other type of medicine. He wasn't gaining weight, he was spitting so much.

He eats about four ounces every three hours (we would try more formula at one feeding, but I'm afraid his tummy can't take it!) and several of our doctors told us to give him rice cereal to help him keep food down. He gets one teaspoon every two ounces and it has been a lifesver. He's an all around happier baby and is right on track for weight. However apparently the subject of rice cereal started a tizzy on my usual board for another poster so I thought I'd come here to see if you all had any other remedies for reflux? Or should I just ease him into bigger servings of formula (but not cereal) to see how he does? We are sure to keep him upright during and after feedings and burp him halfway through the bottle.

by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 11:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
YzmaRocks
by Platinum Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 8:06 AM
1 mom liked this
Try burping every oz. I have never dealt with reflux but hopefully some other ladies can help you more!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lauratupper
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Quoting YzmaRocks:

Try burping every oz. I have never dealt with reflux but hopefully some other ladies can help you more!

larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 10:58 AM
2 moms liked this
That's already a ginormous feeding, especially for someone with reflux. There's absolutely no need to make it bigger. Smaller more frequent feedings are best especially if reflux is involved.

I personally prefer to find the cause rather than treat symptoms with medication or mask them with cereal, but I realize I'm in the minority on that one. I'm glad you found something that works for you :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hi_Rae
by Bronze Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 10:59 AM
My ds has been on enfamil AR (added rice starch) since he was a month old for his reflux
lovely_latta421
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 11:11 AM
He's been a Gerber baby but I'll have to ask around about that. He's very sensitive to different types of formula so we'll have to be careful. Thanks!

Quoting Hi_Rae:

My ds has been on enfamil AR (added rice starch) since he was a month old for his reflux
lovely_latta421
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 11:13 AM
2 moms liked this
That's what I think! Everyone talks about their four month olds eating so much more than mine. I couldn't imagine him eating more than he does now!

We plan on asking about the improvement in reflux to see if he can get off the cereal, or if it's still the cereal helping. Thanks :)

Quoting larissalarie:

That's already a ginormous feeding, especially for someone with reflux. There's absolutely no need to make it bigger. Smaller more frequent feedings are best especially if reflux is involved.

I personally prefer to find the cause rather than treat symptoms with medication or mask them with cereal, but I realize I'm in the minority on that one. I'm glad you found something that works for you :)
Blue_Spiral
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 11:34 AM

This is what I was thinking, too...

Quoting larissalarie:

MalakbelLacuna
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 11:45 AM

could have typed this myself

Quoting larissalarie:

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

LittleMama2012
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 11:47 AM
Have u tried gripe water to calm his tummy? Both of mine had to be on soy formula and have gripe water. Rice cereal tended to give them gas.
Raeann11
by Gold Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 11:50 AM

All my girls had it. My third it was the worst. When they were spiting up more. We would see the chiropractor and it would stop for a few weeks up to a couple of months. Did this till they out grew it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)