Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

so proud but now...

Posted by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 2:22 AM
  • 14 Replies
My 3 month old rolled over for the first time today. While I'm extremely proud, my husband worries now that our son will roll over in his sleep & suffocate himself. My husband refuses for both of us to sleep at the same time so one of us can keep an eye in him. Is there anything i can tell my husband to lessen his fears?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 2:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tuckermum
by Crysta on Apr. 6, 2013 at 2:30 AM
Bump
squeakers2
by Bronze Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 2:46 AM
The risk of SIDS decreases when an infant learns to roll. However it is still a possibility. There should be nothing in baby's sleeping area but baby and a tight fitting sheet. Blankets, stuffed animals, crib bumpers, etc. If you bed share, blankets and pillows shouldn't be used. Do not over dress the baby. Only dress him in as many layers as you would be comfortable wearing. If baby takes a pacifier, let him go to sleep with it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
polkaspots
by Silver Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 3:24 AM
1 mom liked this
I would definitely not stay awake at night while baby is sleeping. My husband would be doing that all by himself. Babies are born with the instinct to survive. By the time they can roll over by themselves, they can roll over if something were to cover their mouth and nose. If he's really that worried, dress baby warmly and don't use pillows or blankets. You shouldn't be using pillows anyway, but just in case you are. If there's nothing there to cover you babies face, there's no way for baby to suffocate.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jessicaaris
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 10:12 AM

I am not sure what to tell him. Honestly when my kids learned to roll I was worried too. I think one of you staying up all the time is excessive....very excessive but I am not sure what you can say to put his mind at ease.

lauratupper
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 11:03 AM

bump!

larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 11:09 AM
Um if your baby can roll over on his own, he can roll back over if he needs to do so. Smh. If the crib has only a tight fitting sheet like it should, there's nothing to suffocate on anyway. Babies are designed to survive.
If I were you, I'd refuse to participate in the staying awake all night.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Zazayam
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 5:24 PM

Cosleep?

adrens_mommy166
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 7:18 PM
Thank you everyone for your advice. I had a discussion with my husband & he finally agreed that staying up was excessive & that the baby should be fine. He sleeps in his crib with nothing more than a receiving blanket & a sheet & his pacifier. Im really not too concerned.
Sama2Mamma
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 4:08 AM
This.
But if its not for you then I agree with the others that sids decrease when baby learns to roll.

Quoting Zazayam:

Cosleep?

Lovemybabieslnb
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 10:03 AM

Our pediatrician told us that if he happens to roll over in his sleep, it's okay. I agree though, make sure there's no loose blankets. The other day when ds was taking a nap, I put a blanket on him. Somehow he managed to put it on his face and he started cryng and screaming. I'm glad nothing bad happend. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN