Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

4 month old learned to roll over now won't stop!

Posted by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 6:01 AM
  • 12 Replies
So my 4 month old learned to roll over the other day and is now quite the pro at it, except he won't stop. In bed at night he keeps doing it and it scares me. He cries as soon as he is all the way over and is too tired to pick his head up well. It's exhausting. I have to roll him back over several dozen times now in the middle of the night which in turn wakes him up fully. So we are now both cranky and tired of doing this 2 times a night. Advice please!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 6:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
polkaspots
by Silver Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 6:08 AM
1 mom liked this
It's probably a phase. You can keep doing it, which I would suggest since he's so young. But waiting longer after he does it might help. One minute and then two minutes. Eventually he will stop putting himself in uncomfortable positions while he's sleeping. My son used to use my head as a pillow, so I kind of know what you're going through. The first couple of nights I had to move him because he was too close to the head of the bed, and it was very uncomfortable for me. He got frustrated by me moving him and stopped doing it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lauratupper
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Bump! 

larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 11:04 AM
My younger 2 kids could roll over from birth. When they rolled in their sleep, I left them alone. Stop rolling him back over and you won't have an issue :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LittleMama2012
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 11:49 AM
1 mom liked this
Wait a little longer to roll him over and eventually he will learn how to roll himself back over.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Zazayam
by Nicki on Apr. 6, 2013 at 5:23 PM

Mine did that, I just wrap around her and hold on at night lol

coreilly89
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 8:21 PM
1 mom liked this

If he's rolling on his own, do nothing. If you swaddle, start moving on to a sleep sack. It's a milestone saying "I'm ready to do this". I'm also assuming he can lift his head from a laying position and possibly even push up a  little with his arms. 

Quoting Jacob1211:

So my 4 month old learned to roll over the other day and is now quite the pro at it, except he won't stop. In bed at night he keeps doing it and it scares me. He cries as soon as he is all the way over and is too tired to pick his head up well. It's exhausting. I have to roll him back over several dozen times now in the middle of the night which in turn wakes him up fully. So we are now both cranky and tired of doing this 2 times a night. Advice please!!

coreilly89
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 8:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Allllsssoooo the only actual threat there is, is for babies that can't push up or move their head and the possibility of stuffing their face in a blanket or something and MAYBE suffocate (which is SUPER rare)... or vomit and choke on it. Which would also be a cause of him not being able to move his head. Unswaddling now will help with this because he has his arms to push with. 

Quoting Jacob1211:

expectantmom81
by Erin on Apr. 6, 2013 at 11:27 PM
We used a wedge so ds wouldn't roll
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
StellarCaterp
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 10:25 AM
1 mom liked this

Remember to give him plenty of lfloor time during the day so he do a lot of rolling.  Keep him out of a jumper or exersaucer and on the floor.  Soon he will not roll so much during the night.

For more on infants and milestones please visit:  http://stellarcaterpillar.com/

Kris_PBG
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 10:27 AM
1 mom liked this

Unfortunately - this is just one of those things you are both going to have to get through...

He'll get stronger and better at it...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)