Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Distended stomach??? Help please!

Posted by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 2:49 PM
  • 13 Replies
Do you know anything about them?
Are they serious? Like go to the er kind of serious?
Or wait until Monday and call the doctor?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 2:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Apr. 6, 2013 at 5:26 PM
How old is the baby? Is baby gassy?
preacherskid
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 5:29 PM

Quoting Junebaby18:

Is the tummy hard?  Can you take a pic?  Distended is kind of relative, so a visual would help :)

CafeMom Tickers
babylove041810
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 5:31 PM
He's 3 weeks. Not really gassy but he is spitting up a lot when he eats. He is breast fed.

Quoting Junebaby18:

babylove041810
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 5:33 PM
It's hard but not completely it's still a little soft.
It's kinda bulging at his sides making him look like he's got a pear shaped stomach.

Quoting preacherskid:

Quoting Junebaby18:

Is the tummy hard?  Can you take a pic?  Distended is kind of relative, so a visual would help :)

preacherskid
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Quoting babylove041810:

He's 3 weeks. Not really gassy but he is spitting up a lot when he eats. He is breast fed.

Quoting Junebaby18:

Is he pooping any?  Arching his back often, screaming, straining like he needs to poop but can't?

As to the spitting, does he choke, gag, or sputter when nursing?  Pull off and on frequently, ever get sprayed in the face?  When does he spit up, is it always right after a feeding or is it anytime?

CafeMom Tickers
preacherskid
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 5:40 PM

Quoting babylove041810:

It's hard but not completely it's still a little soft.
It's kinda bulging at his sides making him look like he's got a pear shaped stomach.

Quoting preacherskid:

Quoting Junebaby18:

Try some tummy massage.  Here: http://www.monkeysee.com/play/14135-infant-massage-tummy

Sorry not clicky.  Unless his tummy is very hard, he is not passing gas, not pooping, and is acting as though he is in definite pain or discomfort I would not worry over much.  If the tummy gets harder, he does not poop, etc, call the on call ped and get their take.

CafeMom Tickers
babylove041810
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 5:46 PM
He's pooping but most of the time it's only a little bit. He's not arching his back a lot or screaming. He's only fussy when I don't start feeding him quick enough.
Sometimes he gets a little choked when nursing. It's not bad he just starts coughing and I have to pat his back a little bit. He does pull off and on a lot and he does get sprayed in the face from time to time when he lets go. I keep a towel beside me when I feed him so I can hurry up and cover up so he doesn't get sprayed a lot and to wipe up his face.
He usually spits up right after eating. It's not often its later.

Quoting preacherskid:

Quoting babylove041810:

Quoting Junebaby18:

Is he pooping any?  Arching his back often, screaming, straining like he needs to poop but can't?

As to the spitting, does he choke, gag, or sputter when nursing?  Pull off and on frequently, ever get sprayed in the face?  When does he spit up, is it always right after a feeding or is it anytime?

preacherskid
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 5:57 PM

Quoting babylove041810:

He's pooping but most of the time it's only a little bit. He's not arching his back a lot or screaming. He's only fussy when I don't start feeding him quick enough.
Sometimes he gets a little choked when nursing. It's not bad he just starts coughing and I have to pat his back a little bit. He does pull off and on a lot and he does get sprayed in the face from time to time when he lets go. I keep a towel beside me when I feed him so I can hurry up and cover up so he doesn't get sprayed a lot and to wipe up his face.

Quoting preacherskid:

Quoting babylove041810:

Quoting Junebaby18:

Sounds like you may have an overactive letdown, which causes the spitting after a feed, choking, pulling off.  He could be taking in air as well, causing issues with passing bowel movements/gassiness, due to gulping to keep up with the flow.  Try upright feedings, or laid back feedings with him above the breast to reduce the flow.  Small, frequent feeds all starting on the same side for a w session can help as well, for example feed on the right side first for three or four sessions, then switch to the left side first, etc.  That can help your body regulate its flow so he isn't overwhelmed every time.

CafeMom Tickers
MABmommy
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 5:59 PM
Sounds to me like constipation or gas. But if he's only 3 weeks I would call the dr anyway. They'll understand and you'll feel better
babylove041810
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 6:01 PM
What is an over active letdown?
I'll definitely try the different way of feeding. I hope that helps.

Quoting preacherskid:

Quoting babylove041810:

Quoting preacherskid:

Quoting babylove041810:

Quoting Junebaby18:

Sounds like you may have an overactive letdown, which causes the spitting after a feed, choking, pulling off.  He could be taking in air as well, causing issues with passing bowel movements/gassiness, due to gulping to keep up with the flow.  Try upright feedings, or laid back feedings with him above the breast to reduce the flow.  Small, frequent feeds all starting on the same side for a w session can help as well, for example feed on the right side first for three or four sessions, then switch to the left side first, etc.  That can help your body regulate its flow so he isn't overwhelmed every time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN