Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ladies Please Help! The Scoop On Poop...

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:38 AM
  • 6 Replies

Hey ladies...I need some advice. My youngest son is 21, almost 22 months old and he still has mushy messy baby poop, he literally has only had maybe 2 or 3 solid poops since he turned 1. I got him off cows milk recently because it was making his poo sour and mucousy and burn his bum, now he drinks almond milk once or twice a day. He has juice only once or twice a day, and the rest of the day he drinks water....is there something I should do differently with his diet? I have been limiting things like grapes and clementines and things like that that make him poo like crazy...what can I do to make his poo more formed so I can dump it in the toilet? I cloth diaper so it is really gross, just ordered some flushable diaper liners to help with this, but I also know I am not going to be able to start potty training until his poo is more formed, and I am hoping to potty train in the next 6-8 months. Any advice? I am really hoping he doesn't have a problem with gluten :(

by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
sahmw2010
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:41 AM

you took him off milk, but what about other dairy products? that sounds like what my DS went through, and we find out he was lactose intolerant

MamaScho88
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:44 AM

I took him off milk, but he really doesn't eat alot of other dairy products ever day...he seems fine with yogurt and cheese...my other son cant have milk either because it gives him diarrhea but he can have as much cheese and yogurt and other dairy products that he wants.

Quoting sahmw2010:

you took him off milk, but what about other dairy products? that sounds like what my DS went through, and we find out he was lactose intolerant

sahmw2010
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:46 AM

hmm, no idea then. good luck

Quoting MamaScho88:

I took him off milk, but he really doesn't eat alot of other dairy products ever day...he seems fine with yogurt and cheese...my other son cant have milk either because it gives him diarrhea but he can have as much cheese and yogurt and other dairy products that he wants.

Quoting sahmw2010:

ferne3
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:46 AM

I don't have any advice, just a bump for you.  Have you tried more BRAT food?  Bananas, rice, apples and tea (I never understood that one) have a  constipative effect and may help firm up?  I know when my DD had diarrhea this is what the dr recommended.  I will say, I recently had to go gluten free because my DS who is EBFing was reacting - it made a HUGE difference for him and although I was at first upset, it hasn't been as hard as I thought.  Even Walmart has a gluten free section with mixes for cakes and cookies and sells crackers and cookies and gluten free bread.  It isn't totally easy, but it isn't as hard as I imagined - although I am hoping this is temporary since he is still only 2 months.  Good luck.

MamaScho88
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:35 AM

Thanks for the bump and reply :) I will have to try the BRAT diet and see if that works, oh and the T stands for toast, not tea lol if not I may try the gluten free approach if it doesnt improve, but will my whole family have to go gluten free? Isn't it really expensive?...he doesn't eat a whole lot of carbs, hes my little meat lover so maybe that's the problem...I will have to figure out more ways to make rice and bread so he will eat it...maybe I'll make him a peanut butter and banana sandwich on toast today...he doesnt really like bread unless if it's toasted, silly boy

Quoting ferne3:

I don't have any advice, just a bump for you.  Have you tried more BRAT food?  Bananas, rice, apples and tea (I never understood that one) have a  constipative effect and may help firm up?  I know when my DD had diarrhea this is what the dr recommended.  I will say, I recently had to go gluten free because my DS who is EBFing was reacting - it made a HUGE difference for him and although I was at first upset, it hasn't been as hard as I thought.  Even Walmart has a gluten free section with mixes for cakes and cookies and sells crackers and cookies and gluten free bread.  It isn't totally easy, but it isn't as hard as I imagined - although I am hoping this is temporary since he is still only 2 months.  Good luck.

ferne3
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Yes, I find it a bit more expensive.  No, the whole family doesn't.  I guess you have to balance him feeling left out by always eating different with him understanding he needs to eat different (if it works) so he doesn't eat what he is not supposed to.  As of now, I am the only one who does and my LO (23 months) doesn't seem to care but she eats the same as Daddy, it may be different if everyone eats different and it is obvious.

Quoting MamaScho88:

Thanks for the bump and reply :) I will have to try the BRAT diet and see if that works, oh and the T stands for toast, not tea lol if not I may try the gluten free approach if it doesnt improve, but will my whole family have to go gluten free? Isn't it really expensive?...he doesn't eat a whole lot of carbs, hes my little meat lover so maybe that's the problem...I will have to figure out more ways to make rice and bread so he will eat it...maybe I'll make him a peanut butter and banana sandwich on toast today...he doesnt really like bread unless if it's toasted, silly boy

Quoting ferne3:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)