Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

How can I tell if my baby is teething?

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:02 PM
  • 7 Replies

“She is my first child and it breaks my heart not knowing how to soothe her pain. Could she be teething?”  Can you help this mom?

How do you know when baby has started teething?

To see some of the most helpful answers from CafeMom members, visit this Advice page: How can I tell if my baby is teething?

by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
NearSeattleMom
by Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:14 PM

Teething can last for a long time . . . and start way before the first tooth erupts.

When they are teething, babies usually start to drool a lot and gnaw on whatever they can reach (usually a fist, in my baby's case).  One of my favorite things to offer was a clean, frozen (wet) washcloth.

Some babies are really bothered by teething but some, not so much.  My babies didn't seem too bothered by teething, really.

LuLuRex
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:19 PM

My kids teething always started by drooling a lot and putting their fists in their mouths. They were also more prone to diaper rashes when they were teething.

funhappymom
by Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 4:14 PM

Baby would get a little more cranky than usual and her gums would become swollen.

We used Hylands teething tablets and it helped a lot.

Larsbug
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 4:17 PM

lots of drool, cranky baby, ear tugging, biting on lots of things, slight fever.

mylilprincesses
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 4:23 PM
Drool,trying to chew on anything in sight, unexplained fevers, rubbing gums together, blood on their bibs..
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Salem2012
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 8:03 PM

Their gums get white and they keep putting hands, or fingers in their mouths.

carolina_gal
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 11:32 AM

I think I really just knew when I ran my finger along his gums and felt some teeth popping through.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)