Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Not giving Honey to a child under 1?

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 5:26 PM
  • 17 Replies

This is honestly the 1st time ive heard this, a lady from WIC told me, something about a bacteria that grows in it that doesnt die and could kill a baby or something. Sorry she just made it sound complicated. lol But i didnt tell my dh about it and i just came home and he was eating honey graham crackers...is that bad? he totally loves them now im not sure if its bad to let him have. Our son is 10 months old today.

by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 5:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Larsbug
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 5:31 PM

from what I understand it's actual honey

MrsNewman
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 5:32 PM

A spoon full of honey isn't good, a graham cracker isn't going to kill him!

hello_kitty25
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 5:33 PM
1 mom liked this

oh ok. because i was thinking, great...what am i going to do with all of these honey nut cheerios? lol

Quoting Larsbug:

from what I understand it's actual honey

fortressmom
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 5:37 PM
1 mom liked this

It can lead to botulism, fatal for young babies. The crackers, etc should be fine although he likely can't digest them well yet.

ferne3
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 5:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Honey in food is baked during heating, killing bacteria.  Raw honey (and proper honey is raw) could contain bacteria they can't digest and make them ill.  On the subject of honey (I am a bit crazy on this) make sure any honey you buy is local and not from the store.  Most honey in the store isn't really honey but colored high fructose corn syrup.  Local honey (like in farmer's markets) has many benefits! Including - helping alleviate allergies (by ingesting instead of breathing pollen) the body builds immunity) and has been proven to work better on sore throats and coughs than prescriptions.   The honey may be a bit more expensive but cheaper than meds!

jackiewal10
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 5:41 PM

Honey posses the risk of botulism.  COOKED honey is fine.  In fact, pasturized honey is technically fine.  It's raw honey that you run that risk with.

Turtledoves
by Ruby Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 6:06 PM

They mean straight honey, like from a jar. Babies shouldn't have that until a year old. Honey flavored things or baked with honey is okay.

abra
by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 5:33 PM

this :-) 

Quoting jackiewal10:

Honey posses the risk of botulism.  COOKED honey is fine.  In fact, pasturized honey is technically fine.  It's raw honey that you run that risk with.

"Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed." - GK Chesterton 

tyrelsmom
by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 5:37 PM
Even pasteurized honey is risky, it doesn't get hot enough to kill it. But cooked is fine.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ChocolateJunky
by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 5:40 PM

She's reffering to botulism. You can also get it from canned goods if they're dented or damaged.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)