Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Serving sippy cup to breastfed baby

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:22 PM
  • 15 Replies

What do u put in the sippy cup for them to start trying the cup for the first time? Breast milk or water? I hate to waste breast milk until she gets it. 

by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CatFishMom
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:26 PM

The idea is to attract them to the cup so juice or milk. Nothing wrong with water but if she isnt inclined toward the cup that won't make it more attractive and she'll just dump it because it's not interesting. Keep in mind that just because you use whatever substance-like juice-to help them learn doesnt mean thats all theyll come to expect, you only need it once or twice and then you can go to whatever you actually want her to have as soon as she has the concept down.

lillucky8
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:27 PM
I do water in the cup until they switch to regular milk and off of bottles, my kiddos are formula though
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:29 PM
We only offered a bit of water in a cup for dd. I wasn't going to waste my time and energy pumping enough for a cupful with the possibility of her completely rejecting it lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Emadele
by Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:31 PM
1 mom liked this
You can do an oz or two of water. Please don't do juice. It's just glorified sugar. You can do bm if you like but I would only do that in a no drip sippy. Something with a soft nib. Like the nuby ones with silicone nib.

Married to Russell (7/27/09), Momma to Haydn (5/27/10) and Donavyn (8/1/12).
KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:35 PM
Water.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jjchick75
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:36 PM

My kids never get anything in the sippy but water. I can't pump so that isn't an opition and we don't give juice, so water it is! I always just start off with an ouce or a little less and then after they get the hang of it I give them more. 

Turtledoves
by Ruby Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:50 PM
I used breastmilk until she was nearly a year. Then water.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Eliots_momma
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:25 PM
I use an oz of water
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
angela.bouchard
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 12:09 AM

Bump

Owensmom1288
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 11:15 AM

My 8 month old son is exclusively breast fed and I have been starting him a sippy cup with an oz or two of water. Like you said I don't want to waste any breast milk, he has been excepting it pretty well, he doesn't drink it all but he does drink some of it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)