Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Anyone have any tips on how to ease my DD's fear...

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:46 PM
  • 4 Replies

My dd is 3.5 years old and she has her own bed/room that she sleeps in at night and she does a really great job about staying in there. She has a few windows in her room and when it's really windy they rattle and are kind of loud. This scares her and also thunder scares her. I've tried to explain to her that it's just nature and what happens when it rains. I explain to her that it has to rain for the plants and flowers to grow because they need to drink it, like we need to drink water to be healthy and have energy. I try to explain to her that we are all safe inside the house because all of that is happening outside and it won't get to us. Last time it stormed, she woke up at 4am crying and covering her ears because the thunder was so loud. I don't blame her. It boomed so hard and fast sometimes that it scared me. I went in and laid down with her and held her. She went back to sleep and since it was so early, I just slept in there with her. When she woke up she kept asking where the rain and thunder went. I told her that it went away and moved on. A few mornings ago, I awoke to her crying again. This time it was the wind. I had her come in and lay with me in bed since my husband was at work already. Last summer we had really bad storms and our power went out one night and so I sat with her at the window and tried to make her comfortable watching the storm and the awesomeness of the lightning. I warned her that after lightning, there would be thunder so she would know what to expect. She seemed to be ok with it but that's just because I was with her. I don't mind getting up and comforting her no matter what time it is, but I wish there was some way to ease her fear. Any thoughts?

Birthday

by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
angela.bouchard
by Angela on Apr. 10, 2013 at 12:12 AM

I have no idea. We rarely have thunder/lightening storms here. bump.

lauratupper
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Just keep doing what you are doing. She may just grow out of it. Those things can be scary no matter what!

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Apr. 10, 2013 at 2:32 PM

I don't know.....sounds like you are on the right track! When my kid's are scared of something sometimes explaining it to them helps.

pinkiebabii
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 2:36 PM
I'm not sure. maybe give her a special bear or something you give her only on stormy nights to comfort her.
when I was little I always had nightmares and my Nana filled my room with glass angels, and that helped a lot.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)