Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Carseat rule problems...

Posted by   + Show Post

I don't care if I get slack for this, i'm not waiting until my baby is 2 to turn her around. 
There. Said it.
I hate the new law!!
My dd is 6 months and already in a new carseat because she's too big!! She's 28inches long, and 18.5lbs already!! She'll be squished if I wait that long to turn her around!!

by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 5:03 AM
Replies (1151-1159):
emkirkley
by Silver Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 11:03 PM
Most cops know jack about car seat safety, unless they are a certified chuld passenger safety technician, let what they saud go in one ear and out the other. There are tons of convertible seats on the market, my girls are tall anf rear faced until 41 inches tall and 3.5 years old

Quoting newmomma2011:

Ya we didn't know about those then but he's a big boy and I even asked a cop about it cuz I was worried about the safety

Quoting mom4823:

That's why they make convertibles

Quoting newmomma2011:

Because my son got to big he was in a toddler seat at 9mths he was tobig for a infant seat

emkirkley
by Silver Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 11:07 PM
Your doctor knows nothing on car seat safety then. It is 5xs safer for toddlers to rear face, they make convertible car seats for a reason. The AAP recommends a minimum of 2 years but prefer the upperclimits of a good convertible seat, then harnessing after that until 6 to 8 years old and a booster until 10 to 12 years old or until they are at least 4 ft 9

Quoting RoxeyMama:

Wow didn't know they changed it to 2 to switch direction. I tried the longest I could with my daughter but at 9 months her legs were up the seat and the harness was snug. So I thought waiting to one was a long time. I switched her around at 10 months. ..... the forward carseat is just as safe or safer I believe. .. my docter said if they can hold there head up by thereself.
angela.bouchard
by Angela on Aug. 29, 2013 at 11:09 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't think most people realize that rear facing after 1 is done in a convertible seat. I feel like most people think that it's done in an infant seat for that long. 

Quoting emkirkley:

Your doctor knows nothing on car seat safety then. It is 5xs safer for toddlers to rear face, they make convertible car seats for a reason. The AAP recommends a minimum of 2 years but prefer the upperclimits of a good convertible seat, then harnessing after that until 6 to 8 years old and a booster until 10 to 12 years old or until they are at least 4 ft 9

Quoting RoxeyMama:

Wow didn't know they changed it to 2 to switch direction. I tried the longest I could with my daughter but at 9 months her legs were up the seat and the harness was snug. So I thought waiting to one was a long time. I switched her around at 10 months. ..... the forward carseat is just as safe or safer I believe. .. my docter said if they can hold there head up by thereself.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

“So, I guess we are who we are for alot of reasons. And maybe we'll never know most of them. But even if we don't have the power to choose where we come from, we can still choose where we go from there. We can still do things. And we can try to feel okay about them.” 

SnapShotMama
by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 1:44 AM
I'll be sure to tell that to my friend.Oh wait that's right her, her husband, their unborn son and both their 3 and 4 year old treat facing boys are all dead! Guess she forgot to use her super powers and let that Dumbass hit her and cram her under that trucker while she sat going 0 in traffic. . God what a stupid thing to say. ...
Quoting briebaby123:

If people use the carseat right, and not drive like a maniac, there wouldn't be problems!! It's ridiculous that kids need to stay in a carseat/booster till they're 6-7 whatever!! I never died, or had problems, and I was in a regular seatbelt by 3! 

Quoting pinkiebabii:that makes sense. you should totally break the law. I mean, who cares about internal decapitation from under developed spines, you babies legs not being squished is way more important!!! why are you even waiting to turn her? you aren't planning on following the law any way.

SnapShotMama
by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 1:54 AM
My son rf just fine till almost 4 in a $30 Walmart seat lol far from $200 lol
Quoting waytomanykids10:

No it does not, I just bought a convertable carseat that will keep my child rear facing until he is 45in tall and 40 lb's. I paid a total of $75.

Quoting chelsone:It takes $200 extra to keep him rear facing longer than a year, which we dont have. So 1 will probably be it for him since it is complying with the law.
Quoting Randi02:

I never implied you don't deserve your child, I just don't understand parents who don't want to keep their kids as safe as possible. Rear facing takes zero extra work. In fact, it's less work because you don't need to turn their seat around! Why would someone not want to give their child the best chance at survival? Turning their car seat around is not a huge milestone that should be celebrated, it makes them substantially less safe.You know that, too, or you would not have added 'bash away' at the end of your first reply.

You haven't switched yet - but you said you probably would before a year. That would not be following the law. As for what your child eats, is it really that bash worthy? Are there laws regarding how/when you feed your child? Probably not. As long as you feed him, I don't care what he's getting.

Quoting chelsone:We didnt buy it. He had it from his previous child. And i do flollow laws. He is still in a rear facing car seat. We have not switched. Are you going to tell me how to feed my kid too? Hes very happy and very safe. So dont act like my parenting skills are so shitty that i dont deserve to have him; like the last statement implies.
Quoting Randi02:

Why would you buy one that doesn't rear face?

The law is 1 year AND 20lbs. You can't just pick or choose. All states have a proper usage clause, so even if there is a 1 or 20lb state limit - there is not a single seat on the market that allows a child to be forward facing before at least 1 year and 20lbs, which would make you turning him early ILLEGAL.

I don't understand why some parents need a law to do what's best for their child, but there's even less understanding for people who can't even bother to follow the law- which is the absolute bare minimum when it comes to car seat safety :(

Quoting chelsone:The one we habe doesnt rear face. And if hes over the state required weight limit, jow is it illegal?
Quoting Randi02:Convertible seats rear face, why wouldn't you just keep your child rear facing in that? Why turn him forward facing before its legal, especially when its so unsafe?
Quoting chelsone:In florida its 1 and 20. But my son is 8 months and already 20 pounds. His rear facing carseat holds up to 22. The carseat we were switching him to is 20-45 pounds amd is one of the convertible ones. Hes too tall for the carseat thats up to 22 pounds. We will probably switch him before 1 year. If the carseat says 20 pounds and up, it has to be safe for that weight limit. I dont drive like a maniac and i know he will be fine. Bash away.

Ilaynasmommy
by Bronze Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 3:39 AM
my poor child will be in a 5 pt harness until shes 8 or 10

Quoting jeweldragons:

I think it's stupid to have a child in a booster until they are 8 years old.  But if you don't follow the law then you can risk going to jail. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dragonmamas
by Ari on Aug. 30, 2013 at 8:36 AM

If it's the law in your state you ought to follow it.

Retrokitty
by Bronze Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 8:42 PM

where do you live and how old are your kids? the law has been 1 for quite some time and in some places has changed to 2. It is 5x safer to rear face. They are not at all the same.

Quoting RoxeyMama:

Love.Love.Love

bzzybeemomof3
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 9:22 PM

Not really. My 19 month old is 18lbs and 28 1/4 inches tall and rear faces just fine. Its up to you, I dont care if other ppl do it or not. Its not my child. But just saying...lol

Where I live you only need to be 20lbs you dont need to be 1 yr to turn your child, its messed up so many ppl do it. I didnt it with my now 5 yr old at just 4 months old. I wish I knew about ERF when she was little. I wish I knew then what I know now.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)