Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why is DD always sick?

Posted by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 5:47 PM
  • 5 Replies

My daughter is 16 months old. I breast fed her to about six months, then I started pumping and eventually went dry because I couldn't pump as often as I needed to. She eats healthy and there are no smokers in the family.

She has had two ear infections, croup, she seems to run a fever every month for the past 5 maybe (I know I've posted about it probably twice recently), she even went through a couple weeks that she had EXTREME light sensitivity (doctors said it was "probably something viral" and would clear up).

We just got home from the doctor because of her running a temperature for the past week and having a rash. They tested for strep and said the rapid came back negative. They said it was probably something viral AGAIN. And should clear up on its own.

She has hardly gained weight (she's 19 lbs) for the past couple months cause of course she won't eat when she feels so yucky.

I feel like I am doing something wrong. I just don't know what it could be, any ideas?

by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 5:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
mandapanda82
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 5:51 PM
It's not your fault! Some kiddos I think have a weaker immune system. Just like adults- I never get sick and SO always is sick. My kids don't get sick. Well my dd got ear infections mon stop from 1-3 then grew out of them. She's 5 now, my 7 month old luckily hasn't gotten sick yet, just a teething runny nose. I hope your lo feels better soon and grows out of these illnesses soon!!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sgillen
by Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 5:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks! It can be so upsetting to think sometimes I am not giving her what she may need to prevent it. Hopefully it clears up on its own, just like the doctors tell me every time!! Lol

Quoting mandapanda82:

It's not your fault! Some kiddos I think have a weaker immune system. Just like adults- I never get sick and SO always is sick. My kids don't get sick. Well my dd got ear infections mon stop from 1-3 then grew out of them. She's 5 now, my 7 month old luckily hasn't gotten sick yet, just a teething runny nose. I hope your lo feels better soon and grows out of these illnesses soon!!!

larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 6:31 PM
Some kids just get sick more.
I will say that running them to the doctor and/or medicating every little thing seems to make kids sick more, IMO.
I made that mistake with my oldest and she was sick a TON. My younger two I pretty much only take them for check-ups and they've rarely been ill. If they get a fever I just assume it's viral and let it run it's course. I don't even medicate the fever (other than at bedtime) since that is keeping the immune system from doing it's job fully.
Anyway that may or may not have made a difference. Keep in mind that every illness IS building her immune system. My oldest who was sick a ton now hasn't been sick at all in over 7 years (she's 14).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Apr. 11, 2013 at 9:00 PM
Try start giving her probiotics. They make them for little kids, and babies too. It will help her immune system get a boost. The refrigerated kind are the best.
expectantmom81
by Erin on Apr. 11, 2013 at 9:22 PM
My oldest is like that too
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)