Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Summer time gear?

Posted by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 4:19 PM
  • 12 Replies

My daughter is 3 months old and summer is just around the corner! My husband and I spend all our free time outdoors and now with our little girl we need to be prepared. My daughter loves the water, she plays in the bath tub at least 30 min every morning and would stay longer if I'd let her. I wanted to know what items people suggest for going to the beach. We are looking at the sunshade tents versus an umbrella, the baby floats, and different sunscreens. I'm sure there are more things we haven't even thought of as well. what items have you found to work?

On a side note, we also spend time hiking but don't have a carrier yet. We want a sturdy one that is very comfortable for those long treks. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 4:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Zazayam
by Nicki on Apr. 17, 2013 at 4:26 PM

Sun tents are great! Also some sort of swimmy diaper. Sunscreen of course, I had hats for all of mine when they were little.

Turtledoves
by Ruby Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 4:39 PM
Id recommend the Boba 3G as a carrier.

For the beach, we took a giant umbrella though a sun tent would have been pretty fun. Besides that she had a swim diaper and a shovel and bucket. I cant remember what sunblock we used on her but it was kid specific.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Apr. 17, 2013 at 5:27 PM

We hike often : ) We use the moby carrier and take turns wearing it so we both get to experience it, lol.

Sun tents are great. We use California baby sunblock.

emkirkley
by Silver Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 5:35 PM

use a sun BLOCK not a sunscreen on her sensitive screen...those have zinc and titanium as their active ingredients, they aren't absorbed like chemical sunscreens are.  Either wear off clip ons or something similar for bug protection. We have a Boba and a Kozy MeiTai, both of us like the Boba, but we LOVE the MeiTai.

JRE-P55
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 5:36 PM

I have the moby wrap .. Do you find it safe enough? I always feel like its stretching out after she's in it for a while and I end up adjusting it often 

Quoting la_bella_vita:

We hike often : ) We use the moby carrier and take turns wearing it so we both get to experience it, lol.

Fields456
by Silver Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 5:38 PM
I will have to look went I get home at the name of it but I loved the float we got ds last summer it has a nice canopy on it and it folds up and has a case. And for sun block I love California baby
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Apr. 17, 2013 at 5:39 PM

I do. I have honestly never had that issue.

Quoting JRE-P55:

I have the moby wrap .. Do you find it safe enough? I always feel like its stretching out after she's in it for a while and I end up adjusting it often 

Quoting la_bella_vita:

JRE-P55
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 5:43 PM

Oh my goodness ... Just like a first time mom to not know there was a difference between sunblock and sunscreen. Thank you for that I will make sure I check for those ingredients

Quoting emkirkley:

use a sun BLOCK not a sunscreen on her sensitive screen...those have zinc and titanium as their active ingredients, they aren't absorbed like chemical sunscreens are.  Either wear off clip ons or something similar for bug protection. We have a Boba and a Kozy MeiTai, both of us like the Boba, but we LOVE the MeiTai.

Marimaru
by Bronze Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 5:48 PM
2 moms liked this

I like the rash guard shirts for young kids.  That way the shoulders and arms and back of the neck (mostly) are covered and you have to worry about less areas for the sun block.

kss12
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 5:51 PM
I took my son to the beach when he was 3 months. Take the carseat for naps or a large amount of towels so you can make a "bed" for him to sleep in under the tent. Swim diapers if he's going in the water. This may sound dumb but I took a spray bottle of water to spritz him because I wasn't fond of salt water possibly getting in his eyes. I took a sippy of water suggested by my bed to let him sip on between feedings for him to stay extra hydrated.
As far as a carrier goes.. I was just in once upon a child yesterday and saw many here for cheap and some looked extremely new and extremely sturdy.
Have fun!!!! Yay summer!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)