Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Concerned about 9 month old's walking

Posted by   + Show Post
My baby girl is 9 months old, and she's very healthy and meeting milestones beautifully. She is crawling and standing up on things. I have a concern about how she is walking though. She'll take steps when we hold both of her hands, and I've noticed that she favors her right leg when she walks. It's almost like she has a limp - she'll step on her left foot, but very lightly and she over-reaches with her right foot to compensate. She looks totally normal and doesnt crawl crooked, its only when she walks. Is this something I should see her doctor about? She JUST had her 9 month appt like a week ago, so I feel silly going in for something like this that could be nothing. I know it's still really early in the "walking" stage and I just don't know when to be concerned. What would you do?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:47 PM
Replies (41-50):
supercarp
by Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 7:19 PM

I wouldn't worry until she is really walking by herself. Then if she limps it will need to be addressed.

apollothor
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 7:41 PM
1 mom liked this

You absolutely need to watch this with the doctor. It might be easily correctable if you watch it now. That what the doctor gets paid for---never be shy to ask the doctor anything. Right now you are your daughter's mouth and her best advocate.

Brown79
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 8:33 PM
It sounds more like She is learning foot placement or learning what Her gaite is going to be. How about starting with your pediatrician first then exploring farther into specialties. No need to immediatly jump the gun to urgently be seen. If you are concerned, moms on here will not be able to diagnose the issue. Peds are the ones that can lay your worries to ease & if there is a problem they can send you for the appropriate diagnostic tests you will need. Plus if you have a copayment or deductible or a non open plan you need to make sure all qualifications are met.

Quoting emarin77:

I would bring her to a pediatric neurologist immediately.  If its been limping for more then a week she has red flag signs for a neurological movement disorder which could be progressive.

KanPsMommy
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:02 PM

Honestly she could have hip dysplaysia. I'd call her doctor and ask if they want to see her now or wait till she's walking more and check her hips. My niece had it as a newborn (it was found on the newborn screening) and had to have more xrays at a week old and again when she started walking for the same reason.

Kellileanne
by Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:08 PM

My almost 9 month old actually turns her foot and walks on the side.  But she's not even close to walking yet through (my first started walking at 9 months--this one isn't even close.

whisperwhisper
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:32 PM
It could just be a dominant leg issue. My youngest sister had a strange gait, so she was taken to a chiropractor and that seemed to do the trick. (She was around 2-3 at the time though.)
mypbandj
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:41 PM

I'd be calling my dr. But that's because I work with small kids and I know that they are supposed to be using both hands and legs equally.

One baby I saw was favoring one hand. Mom and dad just figured he was going to be left handed. However, I knew it wasn't normal and referred them to their dr. Turns out he had a stroke!

Babies should be using both legs and both hands/arms equally.

DixieL
by Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:46 PM

From what I've heard that's normal. I think she will outgrow it.

xxshelbyxxx
by Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 10:13 PM
Eh I guess I'm the only one who thinks you should get it checked out. Yes my son preferrfed one leg over the other when crawling and he'd use it to pull himself sometimes but once he was standing supported and walking supported he didn't ever choose one over the other. I'd heard it can be hip problems, could be an infection in the leg, bacterial something or other. I remember hearing about it when we took my son in around 13 months, after he was already walkin for a few months and randomly stopped walking on one leg for like 36 hours. They listed a few things it coul be, which they said can happen in any young child even 3-12 month olds.
mumkat
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 10:14 PM

I would be concerned to a point.  Ive taken my handful of child development classes and things like "early walking" are signs that a child has sensory issues due to fetal drug exposure, etc. (not to say that yours was drug exposed in utero, its just one of the many things I remember about "early development.")  I would also have my own personal concern about a limp due to my father having Cerebral Palsy and one of his legs being longer than the other.  He limps because of that but they didnt realize he has it until he was not walking at something like 18 months (born in 1948).  It hasn't caused any major joint issues but it would still be one of those cautionary things that would make me wonder because of my own knowledge and family history.  Good luck to you

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)