Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

HELP! My baby is up every 2 hours!

Posted by   + Show Post

Please NO bashing or telling us to let her CIO

She is 6 months old and sleeps with us. 
We've tried  CIO a few times, it just makes her angrier and us more tired having to listen to it and HATE it. I've been able to move her to the bed beside us a few times, but she's still up every 2 hours! I freaking hate it!
She's breastfed, and she still eats every two hours. All day and night...every day and night.

Is there a reason!? Can I change this!?
She used to go 3-4 hours, but it seriously has been every 2 for weeks now!! I'm going bonkers!!

She wakes up all happy and refreshed while I suffer and am exhausted every day.....I don't want to quit breastfeeding, I don't want to make her cry in order for me to be able to get more sleep, I just want us to have a peaceful night!

by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 4:50 AM
Replies (11-20):
littlecheifsmom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 6:12 AM
1 mom liked this
Kellymom.com and. Dr. Sears have great resources. The bfing group on here is amazing too. & what your going through is normal for a bfed baby. Hang in there
mandapanda82
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 7:10 AM
Ya I don't know why moms think it has anything to do with their sleep!! They can't even digest grains until at least a year! I tried it when I didnt know any better w my first and nooo it does not help w sleep at all! It's just a coincidence when it does...

Quoting Nolanzo:

Oh no no no

Quoting mommylove3613:

Rice cereal. it fills them up, and keeps them full longer.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
briebaby123
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 8:16 AM

We give her 2 ounces of solid food for dinner....1 ounce pureed peas 1 ounce pureed pears (that's what we're on right now...we've been doing it for a while)
She breastfeeds before that and after that, which amazes me that she'd still be hungry!
For bedtime, it's always dinner, then I get ready for bed and hubby talks/plays with her a little and gets her ready for bed, then we all lay in bed and she eats-falls asleep.

I'd really like to get her in her own bed, but with her being up every 2 hours-that's impossible! I didn't know growths spurts lasted this long...its been 2 weeks of this consistency.
We've tried 5-10-15 minute cries...it just makes her more mad and shake/cough to the point she's choking. :(  We don't want her to cry just so that we can get sleep.
At one point we left her in there for an hour cause she'd cry-play-cry-talk-cry-play....we were falling asleep and she was fighting it.

And the thing that sucks is she'll only sleep on her own for 20min-1hourish. She HAS to be held/touched/near somebody.

Quoting jhslove:

Yup. We started my daughter on solids at 6 months. Even so, you're going to start so slowly that it won't make a huge difference at first, in terms of her nutrition and satiation level. But solid food will help.

Also, when you say you "tried CIO", what does that mean exactly? Can you tell a little about what you did, when, how long you tried it, etc?

Finally, does she have a bedtime routine? If so, what is it?

Quoting thePBandJmom:

At 6 months I would start offering her food.

jhslove
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 8:44 AM

Okay, based on what you're feeding her it really doesn't sound like she's waking up because she needs food. She may be having a growth spurt, but it sounds like this has been going on for a while, which makes me think that the growth spurt is not causing her sleep troubles.

Two hours is about how often babies go into a new sleep cycle. I'd be willing to bet that she's waking up and can't get back to sleep without nursing because nursing has become her sleep association. As long as that's the case, this is going to continue.

It sounds like the problem with your bedtime routine is that it still involves her being dependent on you to go to sleep. Does she sleep in bed with you, and if so, are you okay with the fact that she does? In other words, would you be happy with co-sleeping if she slept for longer stretches?

Quoting briebaby123:

We give her 2 ounces of solid food for dinner....1 ounce pureed peas 1 ounce pureed pears (that's what we're on right now...we've been doing it for a while)
She breastfeeds before that and after that, which amazes me that she'd still be hungry!
For bedtime, it's always dinner, then I get ready for bed and hubby talks/plays with her a little and gets her ready for bed, then we all lay in bed and she eats-falls asleep.

I'd really like to get her in her own bed, but with her being up every 2 hours-that's impossible! I didn't know growths spurts lasted this long...its been 2 weeks of this consistency.
We've tried 5-10-15 minute cries...it just makes her more mad and shake/cough to the point she's choking. :(  We don't want her to cry just so that we can get sleep.
At one point we left her in there for an hour cause she'd cry-play-cry-talk-cry-play....we were falling asleep and she was fighting it.

And the thing that sucks is she'll only sleep on her own for 20min-1hourish. She HAS to be held/touched/near somebody.

Quoting jhslove:

Yup. We started my daughter on solids at 6 months. Even so, you're going to start so slowly that it won't make a huge difference at first, in terms of her nutrition and satiation level. But solid food will help.

Also, when you say you "tried CIO", what does that mean exactly? Can you tell a little about what you did, when, how long you tried it, etc?

Quoting thePBandJmom:

briebaby123
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 9:45 AM

For naps, she's fine with falling asleep in the chair with me...but for bedtime, she'll get pissy because she wants to be in bed...we've been cosleeping since she was born...I just don't understand why lately she's been up every 2 hours.
And she doesn't suck to sleep, she'll eat! She'll get mad if I don't switch sides or she'll try lifting her head to the one that's fuller...

The doctor said she has me wrapped around her finger, which is fine, I want her happy and to sleep...but this 2 hours stuff is ridiculous!
We've tried everything else : Rocking, singing, paci, patting her back/butt, rubbing her head...she'll scream till I feed her.

Quoting jhslove:

Okay, based on what you're feeding her it really doesn't sound like she's waking up because she needs food. She may be having a growth spurt, but it sounds like this has been going on for a while, which makes me think that the growth spurt is not causing her sleep troubles.

Two hours is about how often babies go into a new sleep cycle. I'd be willing to bet that she's waking up and can't get back to sleep without nursing because nursing has become her sleep association. As long as that's the case, this is going to continue.

It sounds like the problem with your bedtime routine is that it still involves her being dependent on you to go to sleep. Does she sleep in bed with you, and if so, are you okay with the fact that she does? In other words, would you be happy with co-sleeping if she slept for longer stretches?

Quoting briebaby123:

Quoting jhslove:

Quoting thePBandJmom:

New.OrleansLady
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Any chance she has an ear infection? Thats what DS does when he has an ear infection.

twogirl91
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 9:56 AM

Growth spurt! They hit one around 6months. It's a phase and won't last forever.

briebaby123
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 9:57 AM
Quoting New.OrleansLady:

Any chance she has an ear infection? Thats what DS does when he has an ear infection.

That's what I thought too! But she got her ears checked last week and the week before that...and nothing :/
And I thought it could be teething still, but her teeth are almost all the way through now...

momma_2013
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:04 AM
i had that problem... i had to stop breast feeding because she wasnt getting enough and i was really in need of sleep.... i started giving her mil and rice in her milk... after that she slept all night and this momma was able to get the sleep i needed..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Growth spurt time. 6 months is prime time for a growth spurt and separation anxiety.    Just nurse through it. It is tough but when giving our kids the best in life it will be tough.

Do not offer cereal.  Cereal is never needed and can cause stomach problems in babies.

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)