Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

HELP! My baby is up every 2 hours!

Posted by   + Show Post

Please NO bashing or telling us to let her CIO

She is 6 months old and sleeps with us. 
We've tried  CIO a few times, it just makes her angrier and us more tired having to listen to it and HATE it. I've been able to move her to the bed beside us a few times, but she's still up every 2 hours! I freaking hate it!
She's breastfed, and she still eats every two hours. All day and night...every day and night.

Is there a reason!? Can I change this!?
She used to go 3-4 hours, but it seriously has been every 2 for weeks now!! I'm going bonkers!!

She wakes up all happy and refreshed while I suffer and am exhausted every day.....I don't want to quit breastfeeding, I don't want to make her cry in order for me to be able to get more sleep, I just want us to have a peaceful night!

by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 4:50 AM
Replies (21-30):
fortressmom
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Normal around this age!  She's about to start leaning how to do a bunch of new things, so her brain is in near constant hyper drive. Bring her to bed with you and let her nurse while you sleep.

Zazayam
by Nicki on Apr. 22, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Probably a growth spurt.

SewingMamaLele
by Silver Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 12:10 PM
Normal. The best thing you can do is Co sleep, hide your clock, stop counting wake ups, and stop focusing on it. Sleep is going to be hit or miss for the next year, at least... Accepting that it's normal helps.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
YzmaRocks
by Platinum Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 12:23 PM
Breasted babies should not have rice cereal as it inhibits iron absorption and can cause anemia. That and this is a myth and can actually cause more night waking in some children.

OP - 6 months is a growth spurt and she probably needs to be up eating that much. Every 2 hours is not uncommon or unusual. She will go longer when she is ready and able. It can be tough but it will pass.

Quoting mommylove3613:

Rice cereal. it fills them up, and keeps them full longer.
Mystres
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 12:25 PM

Ummm what about pumping, so your SO can feed Lo.  My husband and i made a point to take turns so each of us would at least get a solid 4 hours of sleep.

YzmaRocks
by Platinum Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 12:28 PM
She would have to get up to pump for that missed feeding so that would be even more work. Much easier just to keep baby in bed and nurse on demand.

Quoting Mystres:

Ummm what about pumping, so your SO can feed Lo.  My husband and i made a point to take turns so each of us would at least get a solid 4 hours of sleep.

im_not_trollin
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 12:32 PM

How many ounces is she drinking at a time? Maybe increase it by a small amount. Is she eating cereal or any thing?

YzmaRocks
by Platinum Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 12:35 PM
Baby is breastfed.

Quoting im_not_trollin:

How many ounces is she drinking at a time? Maybe increase it by a small amount. Is she eating cereal or any thing?

im_not_trollin
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Oh, well then ya, not much you can do than just keep feeding and wait out the phase.

Quoting YzmaRocks:

Baby is breastfed.

Quoting im_not_trollin:

Marimaru
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 1:44 PM

Sorry, both my kids woke up every 2 hours the entire time they were breastfed (just over a year for the oldest, youngest is 8 months and still going).  I just roll with it.  Often times she ends up in our bed at some point when I just pull her in with me to nurse and we fall asleep together.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN