Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

HELP! My baby is up every 2 hours!

Posted by   + Show Post

Please NO bashing or telling us to let her CIO

She is 6 months old and sleeps with us. 
We've tried  CIO a few times, it just makes her angrier and us more tired having to listen to it and HATE it. I've been able to move her to the bed beside us a few times, but she's still up every 2 hours! I freaking hate it!
She's breastfed, and she still eats every two hours. All day and night...every day and night.

Is there a reason!? Can I change this!?
She used to go 3-4 hours, but it seriously has been every 2 for weeks now!! I'm going bonkers!!

She wakes up all happy and refreshed while I suffer and am exhausted every day.....I don't want to quit breastfeeding, I don't want to make her cry in order for me to be able to get more sleep, I just want us to have a peaceful night!

by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 4:50 AM
Replies (31-40):
rHOPEb
by Silver Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 2:06 PM
I did not read all the replies....My son is doing this at 9mos but we don't cosleep. His pedi said it could be habit to wake every 2he to eat. My son even eats lots of table foods. So we going to try some other things. However, since your LO is younger it's more likely a growth spurt and will level out soon. No need to offer her foods! Hope you can get some rest.....
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
cabrandy03
by Brandy on Apr. 22, 2013 at 3:28 PM

How old?  My 2 year old still has her nights where she wakes up every few hours.  Sorry no great advice here, just hang in there!

alison.collins
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 5:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Maybe your not producing as much milk as you think.  Try offering rice. Maybe you should consider pumping and bottle feeding if she will take it so your hubby can help and you know she's getting enough. 

Quoting briebaby123:

We've tried  CIO a few times, it just makes her angrier and us more tired having to listen to it and HATE it. I've been able to move her to the bed beside us a few times, but she's still up every 2 hours! I freaking hate it!
She's breastfed, and she still eats every two hours. All day and night...every day and night.

She used to go 3-4 hours, but it seriously has been every 2 for weeks now!! I'm going bonkers!!

She wakes up all happy and refreshed while I suffer and am exhausted every day.....I don't want to quit breastfeeding, I don't want to make her cry in order for me to be able to get more sleep, I just want us to have a peaceful night!

YzmaRocks
by Platinum Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 6:35 PM
1 mom liked this
Just a couple things here...

Nothing here suggests 'not enough milk'. The ONLY way to know is if baby is having less than 4 diapers in a 24 hour period. Fussing, nursing more, etc. are not signs of not producing enough.

Rice cereal is really bad for breastfed babies. It can inhibit iron absorption and cause anemia. Not good. That and babies do not make enough amylase to break down grains until closer to 12 months. So basically she would be feeding her baby something that not only she could not digest but that could cause anemia. Double no no.

Not all women can pump. Even if she could pump, she would have to pump every time her daughter was fed so that would mean even more work for her at night. And again, as long as baby is getting 4-5 wet diapers, baby is getting plenty. What goes in must come out!

Quoting alison.collins:

Maybe your not producing as much milk as you think.  Try offering rice. Maybe you should consider pumping and bottle feeding if she will take it so your hubby can help and you know she's getting enough. 

Quoting briebaby123:

alison.collins
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 6:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Just offering suggestions geez... I breast fed and give rice to my son at 6 months following his pediatricians advice.  I would pump occasionally only when my parents or in-laws watched my son.  Never had any problems with it.  My sisters pediatrician suggested pumping for her for the same reason.. making sure she had enough milk for a full serving.  She however didn't have enough for him even though he was putting out plenty of pee diapers.  

Quoting YzmaRocks:

Nothing here suggests 'not enough milk'. The ONLY way to know is if baby is having less than 4 diapers in a 24 hour period. Fussing, nursing more, etc. are not signs of not producing enough.

Rice cereal is really bad for breastfed babies. It can inhibit iron absorption and cause anemia. Not good. That and babies do not make enough amylase to break down grains until closer to 12 months. So basically she would be feeding her baby something that not only she could not digest but that could cause anemia. Double no no.

Not all women can pump. Even if she could pump, she would have to pump every time her daughter was fed so that would mean even more work for her at night. And again, as long as baby is getting 4-5 wet diapers, baby is getting plenty. What goes in must come out!

Quoting alison.collins:

Quoting briebaby123:

KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 8:22 PM
Umm that's normal and part of being a mom. My 19 month old still nurses every 2-3 hours.

Chances are its a growth spurt get used to them she'll have another around 9 and 12 months:-)

Quoting briebaby123:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 8:33 PM
Don't do this Babies can’t digest it.

In order to digest grains, your body needs to make use of an enzyme called amylase. Amylase is the enzyme responsible for splitting starches. And, guess what? Babies don’t make amylase in large enough quantities to digest grains until after they are a year old at the earliest. Sometimes it can take up to two years. You see, newborns don’t produce amylase at all. Salivary amylase makes a small appearance at about 6 months old, but pancreatic amylase (what you need to actually digest grains) is not produced until molar teeth are fully developed! First molars usually don’t show up until 13-19 months old, on average.

Undigested grains wreak havoc on your baby’s intestinal lining. It can throw off the balance of bacteria in their gut and lead to lots of complications as they age including: food allergies, behavioral problems, mood issues, and more.

What does this mean? Don’t feed your baby grains (or even highly starchy foods), until all of their first molars have emerged. This means no rice cereals, no Cheerios, no Goldfish, no oatmeal, no infant crackers. It means that when you sit down with them at a restaurant, you shouldn’t placate them with the free rolls.

Feeding your baby grains displaces other, more important nutrients.

If you feed your baby cereal or other grains, you’re doing more than simply sticking them with an indigestible food. You’re feeding them an indigestible food in place of something more nutrient-dense. You’re feeding them something their body can’t really use and starving them of the nutrients they need to grow a healthy brain, nervous system, and bone structure.

It also doesn't help with sleep:

Abstract We studied whether feeding infants rice cereal before bedtime promotes their sleeping through the night. One hundred six infants were randomly assigned to begin bedtime cereal feeding (1 tablespoon per ounce in a bottle) at 5 weeks or at 4 months of age. Caretakers recorded the infant's sleep from age 4 to 21 weeks for one 24-hour period per week. Sleeping through the night was defined as sleeping at least 8 consecutive hours, with the majority of time being between the hours of midnight and 6 AM. The results were also reviewed changing the requirement from 8 hours to 6 hours. There was no statistically significant trend or a consistent tendency of one group to have a higher proportion of sleepers than the other. Therefore, feeding infants rice cereal in the bottle before bedtime does not appear to make much difference in their sleeping through the night.

Quoting mommylove3613:

Rice cereal. it fills them up, and keeps them full longer.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 8:45 PM
Yeah that's bad advice.

Is baby losing weight? Not peeing? If the answers NO then everything is fine.

Pumping is a huge pain in the ass frankly so avoid it at all costs.

Besides pump output DOESN'T correlate with supply AT ALL. A baby is much more efficient and effective at emptying the breast. Normal pump output is HALF to TWO ounces total per pumping session a baby can easily get more then that! Then there's the fact that a baby’s saliva actually communicates with the mother and literally affects the composition of the milk based on the baby’s unique needs!

Hubby can also bond without feeding baby.

Quoting alison.collins:

Quoting briebaby123:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SewingMamaLele
by Silver Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 8:51 PM
You mean she didn't have an adequate response to the pump (or, unrealistic expectations on output)? If i pumped exclusively there's no way I'd be able to keep up... But I've ebf'd 3 kids so far and have always made plenty of milk.

Quoting alison.collins:

Just offering suggestions geez... I breast fed and give rice to my son at 6 months following his pediatricians advice.  I would pump occasionally only when my parents or in-laws watched my son.  Never had any problems with it.  My sisters pediatrician suggested pumping for her for the same reason.. making sure she had enough milk for a full serving.  She however didn't have enough for him even though he was putting out plenty of pee diapers.  

Quoting YzmaRocks:

Quoting alison.collins:

Quoting briebaby123:

KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 9:01 PM
Do you know how much education on infant nutrition (including breastfeeding) pediatricians get? About ONE HOUR! One measly hour out of the years of education they receive, they are medical doctors NOT nutritionists!

Exactly how much is a "full serving" of breastmilk according to these doctors? How much did they expect her to pump for him? How about your doctor?

A study done on breastfed babies found that babies eat between 19-30oz, the average amount being 25 ounces. Based on this information the ounce(to 1.25oz) an hour rule was created, so a baby being fed pumped milk will get 24-30 ounces of milk a day fed in 1-3oz bottles every 1-3 hours(amount correlates with hours between feedings. The amount doesn't go over 3oz per feeding because breastmilk changes to meet babies nutritional needs. If either of your doctors told you differently they were wrong.

Quoting alison.collins:

Quoting YzmaRocks:

Quoting alison.collins:

Quoting briebaby123:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)