Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

HELP! My baby is up every 2 hours!

Posted by   + Show Post

Please NO bashing or telling us to let her CIO

She is 6 months old and sleeps with us. 
We've tried  CIO a few times, it just makes her angrier and us more tired having to listen to it and HATE it. I've been able to move her to the bed beside us a few times, but she's still up every 2 hours! I freaking hate it!
She's breastfed, and she still eats every two hours. All day and night...every day and night.

Is there a reason!? Can I change this!?
She used to go 3-4 hours, but it seriously has been every 2 for weeks now!! I'm going bonkers!!

She wakes up all happy and refreshed while I suffer and am exhausted every day.....I don't want to quit breastfeeding, I don't want to make her cry in order for me to be able to get more sleep, I just want us to have a peaceful night!

by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 4:50 AM
Replies (41-50):
MMerrill
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 9:04 PM

There is no evidence that proves cereal before bed makes them sleep longer!  Just hang in there mama!  The best thing I did with my son was not letting him have a nap too close to bed time and a routine, we go to bed at the same time every night and it's helped a lot with getting him to bed.  We also bed share and he sleeps through the night now.

wedding countdown

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

xxjadedhaloxx
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 9:05 PM

Is she on any solids yet during the day since she's 6 months?

Blue_Spiral
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 11:13 PM

That is totally normal. 

That was my life for the first year of life.

By 6 months I was getting tired of it but I just waited it out and it started tapering off at a year old.

Now by 2 years he doesn't wake up at night to nurse unless he's sick. He still nurses when he wakes up in the morning, but he sleeps for a good 8 hours at night, at least. He still sleeps in my bed.

It's what babies do.

I started solids at 7 months and it really didn't do much of anything to influence his sleeping.

acook0331
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 12:31 AM

Growth spurt or she feels lonely. My son did this for 11 months! We ended up finding out that he had GERD. Once he got on medicine, he finally started sleeping through the night at a year old.

Try this- find a shirt that smells like you and have her sleep with it.  That may get her to sleep longer since she has your smell. My son uses my tank tops (we tie the neck area into a knot so he can't get tangled in it).

jackiewal10
by Silver Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 12:34 AM

Sorry to tell you (well, I'm not really sorry) but that's how a baby is.  TOTALLY normal.  She's waking to eat.  If an infant under the age of 12 months wakes up at night, it's generally out of hunger.  You can't change it.  It's just something she will eventually grow out of.

jackiewal10
by Silver Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 12:37 AM

This is actually pretty horrible "advice".  There is ZERO indicaiton of a supply issue.  NONE.  If mom missed the night nursing sessions, she would still have to get up and pump, so...that's pretty pointless.  Cereal is crap in a box.  It's an empty filler that has actually proven to be really hard for a lot of baby's to digest.  So it can and does make nightly wakings worse.  Because their tummy's are upset. 

Quoting alison.collins:

Maybe your not producing as much milk as you think.  Try offering rice. Maybe you should consider pumping and bottle feeding if she will take it so your hubby can help and you know she's getting enough. 

Quoting briebaby123:

We've tried  CIO a few times, it just makes her angrier and us more tired having to listen to it and HATE it. I've been able to move her to the bed beside us a few times, but she's still up every 2 hours! I freaking hate it!
She's breastfed, and she still eats every two hours. All day and night...every day and night.

She used to go 3-4 hours, but it seriously has been every 2 for weeks now!! I'm going bonkers!!

She wakes up all happy and refreshed while I suffer and am exhausted every day.....I don't want to quit breastfeeding, I don't want to make her cry in order for me to be able to get more sleep, I just want us to have a peaceful night!

Basherte
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 7:18 AM

It wouldn't make much of a difference if you were bottle feeding either. I was breastfeeding my son and thought that it was because I wasn't making enough to satisfy him, but even after going full to formula, he was getting up quite a bit. At that point I couldn't go back to breast feeding. 

CIO didn't work for me either. I couldn't sleep as long as my baby was crying, so it was just better for all of us all the way around for me to tend to my son.

Plus they tend to eat a lot when going through a growth spurt. And they have tons of those the first year.

CafeMom Tickers
alison.collins
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 7:20 AM
1 mom liked this

Wow! I'm sorry I didn't realize there where so many lactation consultants and pediatrians on here..  It"s awesome because briebaby123 asked for advice..

My advice stems from things that I have actually tried and things that have worked.  My son is now 5.5 and perfectly healthy. Hell every kid I know and grew up with was given rice cereal and what do you know, none of us died from it!

Being a first time mom is amazing and scary.  That's why it's awsome that there are places like CafeMom that you can go and ask for advice while telling others about your own personal experiences.

I pumped and bottle fed occasionally, everything turned out fine.  Rice Cereal DIDN'T kill my child.  My husband got to help me at night so I wasn't so damn tired.

Oh and thanks for not bashing, you guys made me feel super welcome here:/

Quoting jackiewal10:

This is actually pretty horrible "advice".  There is ZERO indicaiton of a supply issue.  NONE.  If mom missed the night nursing sessions, she would still have to get up and pump, so...that's pretty pointless.  Cereal is crap in a box.  It's an empty filler that has actually proven to be really hard for a lot of baby's to digest.  So it can and does make nightly wakings worse.  Because their tummy's are upset. 

Quoting alison.collins:

Maybe your not producing as much milk as you think.  Try offering rice. Maybe you should consider pumping and bottle feeding if she will take it so your hubby can help and you know she's getting enough. 

Quoting briebaby123:

jackiewal10
by Silver Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 9:01 AM

Actually, there ARE several lactation consultants on here.  I believe one of them replied to you already.  I'd have to go look to be sure.  But you don't have to be an LC or a pediatrician to do your own research on what is GOOD for your baby and what isn't.  The fact is that (most) pediatrician's don't know anything about nutrition and what should be fed to an infant.  Infants can't digest grains until they're about a year old.  When their molars start growing in.

If you're giving advice based solely on something you tried with one child and not something that is fact based, be prepared for people to give you the facts.  As several people on this board have.  Giving out misinformation about BFing, nutrition, "low supply" (which again, there is no indication of) is VERY dangerous.  Someone will come in here and read that and if they don't know any better, they will think you're right and sabotage their own BFing relationship based off your "advice".  

Also, affects of things like, starting solids too early, usually with cereal, (OP's DD is old enough) are just now being researched and they are finding that these things don't necessarily affect children.  BUT, they ARE affecting these children as adults.  Middle age.  

Quoting alison.collins:

Wow! I'm sorry I didn't realize there where so many lactation consultants and pediatrians on here..  It"s awesome because briebaby123 asked for advice..

My advice stems from things that I have actually tried and things that have worked.  My son is now 5.5 and perfectly healthy. Hell every kid I know and grew up with was given rice cereal and what do you know, none of us died from it!

Being a first time mom is amazing and scary.  That's why it's awsome that there are places like CafeMom that you can go and ask for advice while telling others about your own personal experiences.

I pumped and bottle fed occasionally, everything turned out fine.  Rice Cereal DIDN'T kill my child.  My husband got to help me at night so I wasn't so damn tired.

Oh and thanks for not bashing, you guys made me feel super welcome here:/

Quoting jackiewal10:

Quoting alison.collins:

Quoting briebaby123:

nickigoingon8
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 9:46 AM

I don't know if you are up for it but maybe it is time to introduce some cereal either once during the day or it sounds like you might want to do it at night. My almost 5 month old eats about every 2 to 3 hours during the day but then goes to bed at about 830-9 and doesn't get up until about 5 to nurse again. All are different though because my almost two year old still gets up in the middle of the night for a cup and I also co-sleep so no bashing here : )  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN