Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

What are your favorite time saving bottle feeding tips?

Posted by   + Show Post

CafeMom gave moms the opportunity to try Born Free baby bottles. Read what our moms are saying about the experience and then share some of your favorite time saving bottle feeding tips. 

by on May. 3, 2013 at 4:44 PM
Replies (11-20):
zoniechick

Reserved for zoniechick

I had never heard or seen of the born free bottles before receiving my two in the mail to try out. I was really excited to get them to try out on my one month old. It was a big surprise to see the glass bottle. It was very heavy and durable. I really ended up liking the glass bottle. My LO did not seem to have a preference. I mostly bf and offer a bottle of breastmilk sometimes because of issues with confusion. With this bottle she ended up taking it right away with no problems latching on the next time I nursed. I am used to using the playtex vent air and I have say I like these much better. I am not sure about the shape though for when the baby gets older and can hold her own bottle.

I felt that the flow was controlled pretty much by her. I liked that because it seemed to be closer to breastfeeding. Finding a bottle where the nipple does not flow fast is hard. Even with the vent air. Not only does it make babies shy away from the breast but it also causes a lot of tummy issues in babies when the flow is to fast. She took just as long to finish a two ounce bottle as she does to nurse. My LO is sort of a lazy eater so it takes her a while.

Overall I really liked the born free bottles, the glass being my preference but liked them both. I will continue to use them when I do bottle feed bm, which is not that much. I would recommend them especially to breastfeeding mothers who want a bottle that is flow controlled by baby. I want to purchase some more!

CafeMom Tickers
Sweet Berries Child Birthday Ticker
CafeMom Tickers 

Radellia
by Member on May. 3, 2013 at 4:44 PM

I have heard of Born Free bottles before - my friend uses them them for her son. I think the bottles are nice, really easy to put together/take apart and clean. I have a split preference between glass and plastic. The glass is easier to make sure it's sanitized, but the markings are easier to read on the plastic. My son is mostly breastfed, but we do occasional bottles. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get him to take to either bottle, but I think he's currently on a bottle strike since he won't currently take the medela bottles that he usually gets either... Although my son is currently being difficult with the bottle, I would still recommend these bottles to other moms!
orchidlove23
I have heard of born free bottles several times before, but I have never tried them. I was really excited to try the bottles because I knew they were pretty good. I like the plastic bottle better, the glass had good points too though. The plastic isn't breakable so it was easier to give to my baby. The glass one he swatted at several times and I almost dropped it, but I loved that it was easier to clean and no milk smell lingered after washing. The first few times we tried the bottles out, baby didn't want to take it, but after about 4 uses, he was easily able to take it. The nipple was awkward at first but after that it was closest to an actual nipple. Before receiving the born free bottles, my baby had only been breastfed. The flow was great, super close to the flow when he's nursing! He actually stayed awake for an entire feeding, unlike when he nurses. I would definitely recommend these to other moms, especially my friends who are pregnant right now.
junebutterfly
by on May. 3, 2013 at 5:02 PM
I really don't have any tips. I always just made a bottle when baby was ready but when I'd go out I'd already have the formula in the bottles,ready to go.

Quoting junebutterfly:

Reserved for junebutterfly

abra
by Abra on May. 8, 2013 at 11:30 AM
I love glass bottles! I use them for the first year! They are so much cleaner!
stargaze281
by on May. 9, 2013 at 9:30 AM

haven't ever bought or tried the born free bottles.

December_mom
by on May. 15, 2013 at 6:32 PM

I have heard of them but never tried them either. Yet!  The idea of glass over plastic really makes me happy. 

Quoting jenniferlee_12:

I have heard of the Born Free brand before, but never tried the bottles. When I got them I first thought that the plastic one was an ugly brownish color and when my mom saw it she asked me why it looked that color too. I had to look at the instructions to figure out all the pieces to the bottles after I boiled them before using them the first time. My daughter is breastfed most of the time, but does occasionally have to take a bottle from my mom when I have to leave work. My mom tried them with her and said that she did drink a little milk. Most of the time she screams and will only take a gulp or two from the bottle. I personally like the glass bottle better because I like glass. I really like how they have easy to read lines so you can see how much milk you have in them and how much baby drinks. I also like that they are not tall and narrow and hold a lot because of the wider size.

December_mom
by on May. 15, 2013 at 6:33 PM

Quoting abra:

I love glass bottles! I use them for the first year! They are so much cleaner!

With all the bad rap that plastic is getting lately that's what I immediately thought. Didn't think about how easy they would be to clean.

blue_lagoon
by on May. 15, 2013 at 6:58 PM

I always just made sure I planned ahead.  If I had to work the next day or we were headed out for the day I made sure my bottles were clean and prepared.

blue_lagoon
by on May. 15, 2013 at 7:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks for sharing. I had never heard of these either. I'm headed to a baby shower in a couple of weeks. I think I might have found a great gift.

Quoting janessa27:

I was very excited to receive the Born Free bottles. I had never seen or heard of them before. I was very surprised to find a glass bottle included, Once I disinfected the bottles before the first use- I was confused at first as to how the bottles went back together. This is my 3rd baby that we have used the Playtex VentAire bottles - so I was used to having a few extra parts to a bottle.

Josiah (who is a month old today) adjusted very quickly and easily to the Born Free bottles. He is only bottlefed and I think he really liked controlling the flow as he drank from these bottles. He definitely finished a 4 oz bottle much faster with these than he would with his regular bottles. I did not care much for the glass bottle- just because it is heavier and his little hands (that are constantly moving or grasping) have knocked bottles out of my hand when I am feeding him a few times. I would hate to have the glass bottle fall and break or fall on him- if this was to happen.

Overall I would recommend the plastic Born Free bottles to my friends and any mom. My baby is the biggest judge and deciding factor......and he seemed to enjoy having control of the flow:)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)