Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Is something wrong????

Posted by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 12:38 PM
  • 4 Replies

Maybe this is just a vent as well as asking for some help.  My daughter is 9 weeks old and very fussy.  We are doing the 5s's, which seem to work, but always puts her to sleep.  I feel like when is crying and fussy that when I swaddle her to begin the 5s's that it's like a punishment.  Maybe that is just me.  I dont know if I am doing something wrong?  Maybe she just doesn't like me?  I have finally got her to sleep during the day with some naps, which has helped a little.  At this age roughly how much should they sleep?  I am BF, so how much should they be eating?  I feel like we have a good couple of days, and then BAM we have taken steps backwards.  Ideas, suggestions???  Thanks ladies. 

by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 12:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
fortressmom
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 1:07 PM

At 9 weeks, she should still be nursing roughly 10-12 times per 24 hours. Be sure to feed on demand and offer the breast first when she's fussy before swaddling. Comfort nursing is beneficial to both of you and won't feel like punishment (although swaddling and cuddling/shushing isn't punishment either). Some babies are just more cranky than others and it eventually calms down on its own. When my LO was 9 weeks he still slept quite a bit. At 16 weeks, not so much anymore but he's a good night time sleeper.

mrsniebo
by Silver Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 1:11 PM

Why do you feel swaddling is a punishment? It seems to provide extra comfort and security for my babies and keeps DS from waving his arms so much that he can't get to sleep. Maybe not all babies like swaddling?

As for bfing, if your baby is going through 6-8 diapers per day minimum, gaining weight, and is acting satified after feeding, she's probaby eating the right amount :) 

emkirkley
by Silver Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 1:33 PM

they really should probably be awake no more than 45 minutes to 1.5 hours during the day at that age...at least 3 naps, many times 4 before bedtime, at least 15 hours of sleep.  This is a tough age because they hit growth spurts at weird times.  Some kids at this age can nurse every 4 hours with a longer stretch at night, mine nursed every 2 hours during the day like clock-work and maybe 3-4 hours at night.

Lillysmommy0113
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 3:18 PM

im no help i FF. maybe ask in the BF group. they are very helpful.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)