Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

is there a cough syrup that's safe for toddlers?

Posted by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 12:40 PM
  • 5 Replies

my dd has a horrible cough and she's going to the doctor first thing in the morning but i want to help her now if i can. does anyone know of something i can do or give her to help her until tomorrow? she's 21 months.

CafeMom Tickers
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 12:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
mrsniebo
by Silver Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 12:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Hyland's Cold and Cough 4 Kids is labeled for ages 2 and up, but that's the youngest I could find for cough medicines. Is she coughing due to chest congestion? If so, putting her in a bathroom with the shower running (so that the room becomes very steamy) may help.

blapier
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 1:13 PM

My dd is 2 and I called her doctors the other day to ask them the same question and they said they wouldn't recommend it because sometimes it doesn't help and it can actually do more harm than good. They recommended elevating her head, using a vaporizer if she's congested. I went to Walmart and payed 15 dollars for a vicks vaporizer and 3 dollars for the inhalant to put in it. It helped my daughter out a lot. You can also try a steamy shower to help clear her airways like the PP said. I hope she gets better!:) Oh also try vicks on the feet with socks over the feet, sounds silly but works:)

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
emkirkley
by Silver Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 1:20 PM

honey

jackiewal10
by Silver Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 1:21 PM

I would give her a little bit of honey.  That soothes the throat and will help calm a cough.

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Apr. 22, 2013 at 4:53 PM

Honey

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN