Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What are the top 5 items that you have to have when you get home from the hospital? BESIDES the obvious like diapers, wipes, and bottles. Getting all my last items and don't want to forget anything... :) 

babies

by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 6:40 PM
Replies (31-40):
JanuaryBaby06
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 12:48 AM

fisher price rock and play sleeper... sleep saver!

swaddlers.... i thought i had 2 and could find them with baby #2 and sent DH out for them at 2 in the morning the 1st night ds1 was home.

a convertable carseat

clothe breast bads if breastfeeding, paper ones if not because youll most likely leak at 1st

the only thing you dont need right away but was my favorite thing was my fancy umbrella stroller... one that reclines back all the way , has higher grips and a bag for underneath... even had a matching tote... perfect!

playmats for tummytime are nice too.

other good things to have: nipple cream, baby teathing gel, infant motrin

Yeah thats pretty much all i needed besides a converable dinner seat and a crib. pack and play if you have a shore house or something

i did without the swing and the bouncy seat with #2 and without a swing with baby #1.... pointless crap if you ask me.

abigailsmommy11
by Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 12:52 AM

I'm not sure what astringent is. But you can get witch hazel cleaning cloths or you can get it in liquid form. I suggest both. Use the lizuid form to put in a big (afterbirth) pad and then freeze. Those are amazing! Then use the cloths to blot/wipe after you pee. 

I didn't tear or have an episiotomy and I still hurt so bad down there. Witch hazel pads were heaven on earth for the first 4-6 weeks.

Quoting Spring.Mom:

Witch hazel pads? Like the astringent?

Quoting abigailsmommy11:

1. Swaddle blankets

2. burp rags

3. a rocking chair/glider with something to put your feet up on

4. pre-made witch hazel pads in the freezer (for yourself)

5. lots of healthy snacks (also for yourself)

LuckyNLoved
by Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 12:54 AM

Quoting Spring.Mom:

Witch hazel pads? Like the astringent?

Quoting abigailsmommy11:

1. Swaddle blankets

2. burp rags

3. a rocking chair/glider with something to put your feet up on

4. pre-made witch hazel pads in the freezer (for yourself)

5. lots of healthy snacks (also for yourself)

Yes. They help with swelling of your lady bits, I think. But the hospital gave me a lot of those. My top 5 were my moby wrap, because my son wouldn't let me put him down, the rock and play sleeper from bru, because my son has acid reflux and it was the only way he would sleep(at a 45 degree angle), I absolutely loved having easy meals on hand for those first few days, some days I wanted to cook a regular meal, sometimes it wasn't worth the trouble. You need something that makes white noise, because when baby gets to sleep and you want to put them down it helps them stay down. And the rocking chair/glider would have been amazing to have if I had the option. Other than that, if you plan to BF, I would really recommend doing the research now, and getting secure with the idea of it. Talk to Lactation Consultants, take classes, whatever. If not, have your bottles and everything else ready.
cjsix
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 12:58 AM

Bouncy chair(just a plain basic bouncy chair)

Lots of recieving blankets...thrift shop ones are the best as they are super soft from being washed many times already.

A large cup for drinks while nursing

soft comfy pjs,pants or shorts and shirts that are easy to wear and nurse in.

A wonderful snuggly spot for nursing.

reneer1
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 7:18 AM
Bappy pillow, sling, lanolin, tablet ( to entertain me during long nursing sessions lol), and if I had it to do all over again, a hired dog walker.
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Apr. 24, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Boppy pillow, wrap, swing, boobs filled with milk (lol) and blankets

abra
by Abra on Apr. 24, 2013 at 7:39 PM
freezer meals!! chocolate. movies. a good book and a phone that goes straight to voicemail! :-)
Blue_Spiral
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 3:34 AM

Oh, yeah, a baby wrap is pretty darn essential.

Forgot that one...

And a cosleeping guard rail.

YzmaRocks
by Platinum Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 4:07 AM
Wrap or carrier

Several receiving blankets (I use those for spit up)

Freezer meals

Those are my bust haves for right after baby is born. I rarely use a swing but it does come in handy sometimes.
Turtledoves
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 10:34 AM

A swing or bouncer

A video monitor

A sling/wrap

breastpads

someone to cook and clean for you!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)