Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

it suddenly hurts to breast feed!!!! need help or advice, i dont know what to do!

Posted by   + Show Post

my son is 2 months old and we haven't had any problems breastfeeding until a few days ago. as far as i can tell nothing has changed, he isn't cutting teeth or anything! but it hurts so bad to feed him now. at first i thought that maybe they were just sore or something. i have been using lanolin lanolina and it helps a little but my right boob still hurts like hell when he latches on.. kinda feels like it did when we first started out and i don't know why but i also think there is a sore spot on it too. like maybe he has been sucking on it too hard? i have tried pumping and it helps a little but i cant do it forever... not with how busy and crazy my life has been lately. so been pumping the right breast, feeding him with the left one... which doesn't hurt and trying to figure out some way to make this work.

i monitor how much formula i give him and when... he normally only gets between one/ two 3 oz bottles right now. and i want to keep it that way, he has reacted badly when i give him more then that. large diaper blow outs and gas along with getting really fussy... so i really don't want to stop breastfeeding, but i don't know why it hurts now.

has this happened to anyone, and if so what helped? how long did it go one for?

by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 6:43 PM
Replies (11-20):
fortressmom
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 9:51 PM

I agree that the bottles are messing with his latch. They latch on to bottles differently than on the breast, it's easier to latch on the bottles and babies are pretty lazy little things. Why is he getting formula if nursing is going well?  I would ditch the bottles a few days and see if it makes a difference. Use coconut oil on your sore side as mentioned above. That stuff is amazing!

mjimaging
by Silver Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 9:57 PM
Formula can really mess with their gut. I'd say try some skin to skin and slow down on the feedings. Make sure you start with his nose opposite your nipple. You want your nipple in the top half of his mouth, not in the middle. It's an asymmetrical latch. When baby is latched asymmetrically like that nothing in his mouth really touches your nipple. It fills the space between his tongue and roof of his mouth. Moves freely. Check baby's tongue, I its white and does not wipe off, it may be thrush. If it wipes off it should just be milk. I'm hoping some of that helped.
KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 10:24 PM
Does the pain go away or is it throughout the feeding?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PEEK05
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 10:25 PM

Maybe  it is thrush.

lifeforchrist
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 10:35 PM

That sounds like a clogged duct. Warm wash cloths and massage the area. It will pass!

Jennifer6712
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 10:58 PM
I breast fed my daughter till 14 months and I had the same thing happen to me: luckily it wasnt an infection and turned out just not properly latching on cause sore red chapped (and bleeding nipple) right breast. I tried Lantin cream just hand expression the sore side...just till it wasn't so uncomfortable. My lactation consultant also said don't give baby the bottles which only caused them confusion..(my baby is 9 now so times may have changed IDK)
piratepixie
by Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 11:28 PM
we have used tommee tippee bottles since he was born, we have never had a problem like this before. so i dont think it is the bottle. he has been getting the formula because his weight gain has been slow and the doctor thinks that i am not making enough milk. it could be a latching thing, i do not think it is thrash as there is no white stuff in his mouth... other then milk. i would know if it was my oldest child had it when he was a baby so i know what it looks like in the mouth.
Quoting fortressmom:

I agree that the bottles are messing with his latch. They latch on to bottles differently than on the breast, it's easier to latch on the bottles and babies are pretty lazy little things. Why is he getting formula if nursing is going well?  I would ditch the bottles a few days and see if it makes a difference. Use coconut oil on your sore side as mentioned above. That stuff is amazing!

Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Apr. 24, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Quoting piratepixie:

Why does the dr think your no making enough milk? Was baby not gaining ANY weight? Was baby not peeing and pooping and going through 6-8 diapers per day?
BlessedMammaof2
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 12:51 AM
It is more than likely his latch causing the discomfort. Bottles and even pacifiers can cause nipple confusion. The other possibilities would be thrush, a clogged duct or mastitis but from your description alone it doesn't seem like either. Do you have access to a LC or your local LLL?
SWEET_TERESA
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Ice pack,   tylenol,   and  use a pump, 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)