Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

it suddenly hurts to breast feed!!!! need help or advice, i dont know what to do!

Posted by   + Show Post

my son is 2 months old and we haven't had any problems breastfeeding until a few days ago. as far as i can tell nothing has changed, he isn't cutting teeth or anything! but it hurts so bad to feed him now. at first i thought that maybe they were just sore or something. i have been using lanolin lanolina and it helps a little but my right boob still hurts like hell when he latches on.. kinda feels like it did when we first started out and i don't know why but i also think there is a sore spot on it too. like maybe he has been sucking on it too hard? i have tried pumping and it helps a little but i cant do it forever... not with how busy and crazy my life has been lately. so been pumping the right breast, feeding him with the left one... which doesn't hurt and trying to figure out some way to make this work.

i monitor how much formula i give him and when... he normally only gets between one/ two 3 oz bottles right now. and i want to keep it that way, he has reacted badly when i give him more then that. large diaper blow outs and gas along with getting really fussy... so i really don't want to stop breastfeeding, but i don't know why it hurts now.

has this happened to anyone, and if so what helped? how long did it go one for?

by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 6:43 PM
Replies (21-26):
fortressmom
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:37 AM

Bottles can cause latch issues suddenly even if they've been given for a long period of time. As babies mouths grow and change it causes the way they latch to change slightly as well. The only reason your dr should say you aren't making enough is if there are not enough diapers in 24 hour periods and your baby is losing weight and not meeting milestones. Those three combined say there's an issue, not weight alone. Some babies are crazy slow gainers, my 2nd DD was and we were never told to supplement because everything else was great:)  I would just give it a test run without bottles a couple of days, track diapers, and see if it helps. I really hope things get better for you, it's frustrating when you can't pinpoint what's going on!

Quoting piratepixie:

we have used tommee tippee bottles since he was born, we have never had a problem like this before. so i dont think it is the bottle. he has been getting the formula because his weight gain has been slow and the doctor thinks that i am not making enough milk. it could be a latching thing, i do not think it is thrash as there is no white stuff in his mouth... other then milk. i would know if it was my oldest child had it when he was a baby so i know what it looks like in the mouth.
Quoting fortressmom:

I agree that the bottles are messing with his latch. They latch on to bottles differently than on the breast, it's easier to latch on the bottles and babies are pretty lazy little things. Why is he getting formula if nursing is going well?  I would ditch the bottles a few days and see if it makes a difference. Use coconut oil on your sore side as mentioned above. That stuff is amazing!

Turtledoves
by Ruby Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 1:57 PM
Sounds like you have thrush or a blocked duct. Is it on both sides?
shortyali
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 4:45 AM
Giving bottles aren't going to help your supply if there is a supply issue. Nurse baby with no bottles for 24 hours. In that 24 hours if you change at least 6 diapers then your supply is fine. Poops and heavy wets count as 2 diapers. Blow out poops are normal for bf babies.
Bottles can start to all of a sudden cause an issue. I would work on ditching them unless you aren't around to feed.
Has he been checked for tongue tie? I would get in contact with an IBCLC or a LC and have that checked out.
Also what is his weight history? Birth, lowest, current? And did you have any fluids during labor? Did you have a section or a vaginal delivery?

Quoting piratepixie:we have used tommee tippee bottles since he was born, we have never had a problem like this before. so i dont think it is the bottle. he has been getting the formula because his weight gain has been slow and the doctor thinks that i am not making enough milk. it could be a latching thing, i do not think it is thrash as there is no white stuff in his mouth... other then milk. i would know if it was my oldest child had it when he was a baby so i know what it looks like in the mouth.

Quoting fortressmom:I agree that the bottles are messing with his latch. They latch on to bottles differently than on the breast, it's easier to latch on the bottles and babies are pretty lazy little things. Why is he getting formula if nursing is going well?  I would ditch the bottles a few days and see if it makes a difference. Use coconut oil on your sore side as mentioned above. That stuff is amazing!
piratepixie
by Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 1:07 PM

he only gets a bottle at night, when he will take one. dh his up later then i am so he feeds him so i can get some sleep. i try to pump milk so that he has it, but he always forgets that its there.

his diaper count is around 4/5 normally, unless he is having one of those days where he poops a lot. which is about every other day or so..

at birth he was 6 lbs 15 oz, 6 days he was 6 lbs 13 oz, 3 weeks 7 lbs 12 oz , 

0ne month 9 lbs  1 oz ( he was on formula) , two months 11lbs 5 oz

his doctor told me that for his height and weight now he is perfectly proportioned, he is just small for a boy... but he is hitting his mile stones, he rolled over today and everytime his doctors see's him she says that he is really strong for his age and size. he will be 3 months at the end of this month.

i delivered vag, had an iv because i was induced.

Quoting shortyali:

Giving bottles aren't going to help your supply if there is a supply issue. Nurse baby with no bottles for 24 hours. In that 24 hours if you change at least 6 diapers then your supply is fine. Poops and heavy wets count as 2 diapers. Blow out poops are normal for bf babies.
Bottles can start to all of a sudden cause an issue. I would work on ditching them unless you aren't around to feed.
Has he been checked for tongue tie? I would get in contact with an IBCLC or a LC and have that checked out.
Also what is his weight history? Birth, lowest, current? And did you have any fluids during labor? Did you have a section or a vaginal delivery?

Quoting piratepixie:we have used tommee tippee bottles since he was born, we have never had a problem like this before. so i dont think it is the bottle. he has been getting the formula because his weight gain has been slow and the doctor thinks that i am not making enough milk. it could be a latching thing, i do not think it is thrash as there is no white stuff in his mouth... other then milk. i would know if it was my oldest child had it when he was a baby so i know what it looks like in the mouth.

Quoting fortressmom:I agree that the bottles are messing with his latch. They latch on to bottles differently than on the breast, it's easier to latch on the bottles and babies are pretty lazy little things. Why is he getting formula if nursing is going well?  I would ditch the bottles a few days and see if it makes a difference. Use coconut oil on your sore side as mentioned above. That stuff is amazing!

shortyali
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 2:27 PM
There wasn't a need for formula, just a better breastfeeding educated dr. Bf babies average 1lb gain per month from lowest weight. By 3 weeks your son exceeded that and the first week is all loss. So if I had to guess it would have been closer to 1.5lbs gained by the 3 week weight. I personally would cut out all formula and I would stop the night bottle. Here is why, every bottle given tells your body to produce less milk, unless you are up pumping while that bottle is being given. Trust me on this. My DD was born at 5lbs 13ozs and her dr kept pushing me to give her formula because she was small. I pushed back and refused then changed drs. The new dr said she was perfectly fine just small but she was growing.

Quoting piratepixie:

he only gets a bottle at night, when he will take one. dh his up later then i am so he feeds him so i can get some sleep. i try to pump milk so that he has it, but he always forgets that its there.

his diaper count is around 4/5 normally, unless he is having one of those days where he poops a lot. which is about every other day or so..

at birth he was 6 lbs 15 oz, 6 days he was 6 lbs 13 oz, 3 weeks 7 lbs 12 oz , 

0ne month 9 lbs  1 oz ( he was on formula) , two months 11lbs 5 oz

his doctor told me that for his height and weight now he is perfectly proportioned, he is just small for a boy... but he is hitting his mile stones, he rolled over today and everytime his doctors see's him she says that he is really strong for his age and size. he will be 3 months at the end of this month.

i delivered vag, had an iv because i was induced.

Quoting shortyali:

1stpreggers
by Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 2:28 PM
You should try the breastfeeding group.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)