Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Poll

Question: How long did you breastfeed your last child?

Options:

Not a drop

1-6 weeks

1-3 months

4-6 months

7-9 months

10-12 months

13-15 months

16-18 months

19-23 months

2+ years (specified in comments)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 107

View Results

Breastfeed? :)

Lets make this a fun post! Feel free to post your cutest breastfeeding/bottle feeding pictures and share your experience!

by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 11:03 PM
Replies (61-70):
xredstarsx
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 2:52 AM
I wonder what the both of you would do in my situation. It took until my son was 10 weeks to be back up to birth weight. I can't pump and I can't find a donor who doesn't have dairy and soy in her milk. (Part of the reason he wasn't gaining). We still don't know why he has trouble gaining but is now gaining 4 oz a week. He gets a little formula after he nurses just to get more calories in him. I hate that I have to use it but I don't see another choice.

Quoting Randi02:

Same here.

I find it sad how many babies were never breastfed at all :(

Quoting Mom2Just1:

First child 14 months.  Second chid is 4 months and counting.  Formula is never an option for our family personally.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Blue_Spiral
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 3:13 AM
1 mom liked this

I think it's such a big deal that so many women try to breastfeed and are unable to.

It says A LOT about the advice they're being given.

Everytime I hear a, "I just didn't produce enough," or, "It took too long for my milk to come in" it just makes me cringe.

Blue_Spiral
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 3:15 AM
1 mom liked this

Oh, and my son is 28 months and still nurses frequently.

It's a big part of our routine that I can't imagine being without. 

He'll wean when he's ready. I've chosen to give him the decision.

Millertime77
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 10:11 AM
1 mom liked this

My son is now 30 months old and still nursing at least twice a day.  He will self-wean when he is ready!

mandalyn74
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 10:17 AM
1 mom liked this

My daughter is about to turn 17 months and she is still breastfeeding at night and sometimes for naps.  She is not showing any signs of being ready to stop yet.

Salem2012
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 10:23 AM

The most i got out was a couple of drops so i never did.

jessicaaris
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 10:24 AM

I didn't breastfeed my last baby :)

Randi02
by Platinum Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 10:36 AM
2 moms liked this

If I found the issue was dairy and soy, I would eliminate that from my diet and keep nursing.

He was gaining very slowly, but he was getting back up to birth weight. How much did he lose in the beginning?
If my baby was having at least 6-8 wet diapers every 24 hours (after the first 6 days of life), meeting milestones and at least maintaining/slowly gaining weight, I wouldn't worry at all. I don't weigh my babies really, so I wouldn't know about getting back to birth weight etc. unless I took them in for something else.

Quoting xredstarsx:

I wonder what the both of you would do in my situation. It took until my son was 10 weeks to be back up to birth weight. I can't pump and I can't find a donor who doesn't have dairy and soy in her milk. (Part of the reason he wasn't gaining). We still don't know why he has trouble gaining but is now gaining 4 oz a week. He gets a little formula after he nurses just to get more calories in him. I hate that I have to use it but I don't see another choice.

Quoting Randi02:

Same here.

I find it sad how many babies were never breastfed at all :(

Quoting Mom2Just1:

First child 14 months.  Second chid is 4 months and counting.  Formula is never an option for our family personally.

abigailsmommy11
by Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:41 PM

I agree. I was induced 3 weeks early and when my milk didn't come in within 24 hours they told me that I needed to give her formula. I said that I would not give her a bottle because I planned on breastfeeding. They were annoyed but they got me a little tube and taught me to put one end in the formula and the other next to my breast. I had to position it just right for her suction to make the formula go through the tube, but I managed to feed her like that for 3 days until my milk came in. She never had formula again :)

Now that I've read up on it even more, it's completely normal for milk to take 1-5 days to come in. But I'm glad that I did the formula, otherwise I would've been stuck in the hospital even longer, waiting for her jaundice to go away.

Quoting Blue_Spiral:

I think it's such a big deal that so many women try to breastfeed and are unable to.

Everytime I hear a, "I just didn't produce enough," or, "It took too long for my milk to come in" it just makes me cringe.

Blue_Spiral
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:44 PM

Wow, 3 weeks early? That would be scary.

That's great how determined you were to put her to the breast!

Quoting abigailsmommy11:

I agree. I was induced 3 weeks early and when my milk didn't come in within 24 hours they told me that I needed to give her formula. I said that I would not give her a bottle because I planned on breastfeeding. They were annoyed but they got me a little tube and taught me to put one end in the formula and the other next to my breast. I had to position it just right for her suction to make the formula go through the tube, but I managed to feed her like that for 3 days until my milk came in. She never had formula again :)

Now that I've read up on it even more, it's completely normal for milk to take 1-5 days to come in. But I'm glad that I did the formula, otherwise I would've been stuck in the hospital even longer, waiting for her jaundice to go away.

Quoting Blue_Spiral:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)