Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice Needed: Has anyone ever made homemade rice milk formula or any...

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:53 AM
  • 13 Replies

Has anyone ever made homemade rice milk formula (or any kind of homemade formula) for their baby? I am thinking of doing this because the commercial formulas are so bad for baby. Thanks for any advice!

by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:03 AM
No. I breastfeed my babies. There are some recipes for making some, but make sure you follow them very carefully or it can harm a baby if they don't get the proper nutrients. I wouldn't do anything with rice, as babies can't digest it until closer to a year
jackiewal10
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Nope.  I breastfeed.  I wouldn't make formula though.  Some of the homemade ones are more dangerous than the store bought.  They lack vital ingredients.  Also, I wouldn't make it with rice milk, or any other grain for that matter.  Infants can't digest grains. 

SewingMamaLele
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:07 AM
Rice milk is definitely not a good option. there are goats milk formula recipes... Weston a price has good whole food formula recipe. Most of the others involve infant vitamins, so essentially the same as commercial formula.
Bally86
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:07 AM
I have been breastfeeding but due to some medical issues i am no longer able to and am looking for the healthiest alternative. My son is allergic to dairy so i am looking for a non dairy alternative. Thanks for the advice
mrsniebo
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:08 AM

I'd be concerned that homemade formula could be worse for the baby than store-bought, especially (as PP have pointed out) since infants can't digest grains.

Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:50 AM
2 moms liked this
Quoting Bally86:

I have been breastfeeding but due to some medical issues i am no longer able to and am looking for the healthiest alternative. My son is allergic to dairy so i am looking for a non dairy alternative. Thanks for the advice

Depending on the medical condition, its very likely that you still CAN bf. Most drs know nothing about what meds are safe while bf. Personally, I would research to find out what meds are safe to take while bf before I made up some formula for my baby.
Randi02
by Platinum Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 12:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Can you get donor milk?

Eats on Feets and Human Milk 4 Human babies are both places you can find donors.

abra
by Abra on Apr. 24, 2013 at 9:26 PM

I haven't. BUMP! 

MisfitInTN
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:04 PM
My ds has fpies. Hes allergic to milk dairy eggs wheat soy nuts and fish. I bf him and had to eliminate everything from my diet. If I hadnt he woukd have to have an amino acid based formula
pinkiebabii
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:05 PM
I haven't. I suggest donor milk.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)