Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

My MIL is quite upset with me

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 3:08 PM
  • 50 Replies
I think me and my husband really but I'm taking the "heat" for it. My husband got the flu last week. We are both 32 years old and I've never had it and last week was his first time having it. Our kids are 12,4,&2. No one in my family has ever gotten the flu shot. Well my husband is feeling better now but both our little ones have it now.

My MIL was asking me how everyone was. She made the comment to me in a text that now that we know just how bad it is then we will get the flu shot next year. Well..... I say no I don't think so. Soooooo yeah that just started all kinds if things.

My husband told her that one of his workers got the flu shot in August (I think it was August) and he just returned to work this month. Apparently the flu shot didn't agree with him. I want to say it paralyzed him in some way. Anyways... My husband says that alone was enough for him to say he would rather just get the flu.

His mom works on base and gets all her shots so she can't wrap her mind around the fact that we don't. I also only let my kids get 1 shot at a time. She tried to throw up how pitiful they are and how could we not get it knowing it would prevent this. Yeah because it's 100% right?

*sigh*
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 3:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
babyspots17
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 3:14 PM
My mom always asks me about getting the flu shot to drives me nuts!
Mandamom1
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 3:19 PM

I have never gotten the flu shot either

CatFishMom
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 3:22 PM
1 mom liked this

That stupid vaccine isnt even guaranteed to work-as you obviously already know. My doctor told me flat out that they use last year's strain (or something like that, I dont remember precisely now) and that the damn virus mutates constantly so what you pump into your body this month isnt even the same strain as what's going around three months from now.

When I get in this argument with people I eventually just shake my head and drop the subject. If they keep going I tell them 'we'll have to agree to disagree-theyre my kids' and then I refuse to discuss it any further.

flawskii
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 3:24 PM
My mom doesn't believe in getting the flu shot. I've gotten them before and will probably do the same with DD. But what you and your husband think is best for your children is you alls decision. Sorry you gotta go through that with your MIL.
Ginnygurl97
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 3:24 PM
I have never been sicker in my life as when I got a flu shot. Twice! First time, ok, a fluke. Second time, nope! Never again! And I also only do 1-2 shots at a time for my boys.
Lillysmommy0113
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 4:10 PM

i got the flu shot in oct. and got the flu in feb.

Zazayam
by Nicki on Apr. 24, 2013 at 4:19 PM

Stick with it! I got my family the flu shot ONE time, and oh. my. god. We were so far beyond sick that year it wasn't even funny. It took about 3 months for us to feel better, and we were all completely miserable. I'll take the flu any time.

Never again. Ignore her :)

lauratupper
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 4:20 PM

Same, it was also the first time I had every gotten the flu in my life.

Quoting Lillysmommy0113:

i got the flu shot in oct. and got the flu in feb.

rHOPEb
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 4:28 PM
Sounds like my parents! Ugh. I say my peace and move on. They raised me and these are MY kids. No way we getting the flu shot.....too much negative. Plus no guarantee that is the correct flu stran they are treating.
My friends lil girl got the shot and she got the flu TWICE!
Turtledoves
by Ruby Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 4:50 PM

We don't get the flu shot either. It doesn't cover so many strands of flu, and usually gives you a pretty good flu after you get it which spreads to others anyway. They say it's not as strong when you have the shot, but I've seen otherwise multiple times.  Most people I know who are forced to get it for their job really wish they didn't have to from all of the ill effects.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)