Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

babies and cough medicine?

Posted by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 1:15 AM
  • 3 Replies

I know that babies shouldn't take OTC cough meds. I also know that some of my friends' pediatricians have recommended very small doses of certain children's cough meds for their babies in cases of severe coughing spasms. Should I ask my pediatrician if my 10 month old can safely have a small dose? His coughing is so bad right now he's gagging and can't get back to sleep. It's pitiful. I do all the normal things they tell me to do: run the humidifier, prop up the head of the mattress, etc. I even put baby vaporub on his chest and the bottoms of his feet (someone told me that helps). Every time he gets a cold it's the coughing that is hardest to deal with. I know that it always seems harder to deal with in the middle of the night when we're both tired and want to go back to sleep. Anyway sorry for rambling, it's late and I can't call the dr. til morning, so I guess my question is this: should I ask if it's possible to safely give him a tiny bit of cough medicine? Or should I ask for a refill of the albuterol he was on when he had RSV and give him a breathing treatment when he has a bad coughing fit? Or both lol.

by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 1:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
alandou
by April on Apr. 26, 2013 at 1:33 AM

Call the pedi first thing in the morning. Always check with his pedi before you give any medications. As far as the Albuterol, I have no idea about that. I don't know anything about it. A breathing treatment can't hurt can it? Maybe try that to see if it helps. Sorry, I'm not much help. Hope you all feel better soon!

emkirkley
by Silver Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 8:23 AM
If the coughing is bad enough for medicine and making him gag id take him in.
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Apr. 26, 2013 at 12:45 PM

I would call your pedi and check with them

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)